Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Solutions for Hotel

c.ong
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am planning to design a wireless solutions for a hotel in my area. I plan to propose Cisco Unified Wireless using WiSM.

Guest authentication feature is available in Cisco Unified using WLC. Is there any other Cisco solutions which I should include to deploy a typical wireless solution for a hotel such as billing system, prepaid card printing,etc.

I'm used to proposed ACS for Enterprise solutions. Should I include ACS in my solution to this hotel too?

Thank you.

Delon

4 Replies 4

prakashj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi c.ong,

I Thing you can go ahead with follwoing things for the hotel wireless design

Controller

----------

1)WLSM

-------

Wireless lan service module,With this u can enable guest feature,Wireless IP-tel and also it will support for hand billing system like Ipod billing.

2)WLSE

----

Wireless lan solution engine.With this you can

manage all the access point,You can take the report,perform the config from remote and monitor the same

3)ACS

---

ACS should be there inorder to authanticate with client as well as access point,You can go ahed with PEAP or LEAP.You have to enable radius server in ACS.All access point ,WLSM should be AAA client of radius.

4)Autonamus access point

I hope this will help for your design

Thankx&Regds

Saji k.s

Huh?

One of those is for lightweight AP's and the other is for autonomous AP's.

LEAP is to be avoided at all costs, since it is more unsecure than WEP.

How do you intend to get guests to authenticate to a radius server??

You need to work this out a little more..

mark.j.hodge
Level 3
Level 3

Cisco has a boxed product just for this, the Building Broadband Service Manager.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/netmgtsw/ps533/index.html

I used it in my last company to provide guest wireless access, issuing temporary "tickets" at zero cost, but it can be configured to charge for access etc. It can be used for both Wired and Wireless connections, so you could provide different facilities in room and in public areas.

** please rate if post is helpful **

Keep in mind BBSM is a EOS/EOL product.

The recommended replacement for the Cisco BBSM is the Cisco NAC Appliance (formerly Cisco Clean Access). Where support for wired deployments is not required the Cisco Unified Wireless Network (wireless LAN controllers and the Wireless Control System) can provide guest access support.

We manage close to 100 hotel and resort properties and moved off of BBSM because of this reason.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: