cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Force a codec

bcarroll
Level 1
Level 1

Can I force an IP phone at a remote site that is behind a pix 501 to use a specific codec like g729 when it talks to my central site phones, yet leave my central site phones to use g711 when they talk amongst themselves?

12 Replies 12

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

Brandon,

That is accomplished by defining Regions in Call Manager, and selecting the appropriate region in the device pool.

Please rate helpful posts.

Dave

can I do regions in Call Manager Express?

My bad, when you mentioned multiple sites, I assumed Call Manager, not CME.

Can you do this with CME (any version)?

CME does not support regions. If you want g729 for a phone, configure that either at ephone or ephone-template level.

Are there any examples of this that can be viewed?

ephone xx

codec g729r8

that's it.

The command at this level does not exist at least for this IOS that I am aware of. c2600-ipvoicek9-mz.124-3f.bin (running cme 3.3) Is there an alternate place for this command or am I just missing something completely?

when you are doing this with a remote phone which is not registered to this CME, it would use a voip dial-peer (considering this a voip call). voip dial-peers by default use g729 codec and CME Phones by default should use g711 when there is a call between 2 phones registered to the same CME.

With no codec being configured, you should not need any command as this is the default behaviour of CME and voip dial-peers

You are missing CME 4.0 and 4.1 :)

I am running CME 3.4 and do not have that option when in config-ephone. Is there a way to force a local, registered phone to use a different codec? These are "local" because they are at the other end of VPNS, but they are on home broadband connections so g711 results in lots of clipping and loss.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi,

As I mentioned below, g729r8 is an option for CME 4.0 and onwards. Also note, that if the network is lossy, you can have poor results also with g.729, because it's a codec that suffers if there is packet loss. So in any case you should look at optimizing the QoS as much as possible.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: