Level 1
Level 1

HI EXPERTs!

I Have to know WHAT Is the function of these;in Lan Switching:

1)

DP:

RP:

AP:

2)does spanning-tree backbone fast just on the CORE Switch?or on all switch inside networks

3)what is the function of the Spanning-Tree bpdu gard?does gard or filter is more efficient?

4)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Ali,

Alternate ports lead to the root bridge, but are not root ports. The alternate ports maintain the STP blocking state.

HTH

Ankur

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ali,

If you use BackboneFast, you must enable it on all switches in the network.

There is a little difference between bpdu guard and bpdu filter. I will recommed you to have a look at this link and please come back if you have any doubt on the same

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750/12235se/scg/swstpopt.htm#wp1095752

HTH

Ankur

Ankur my Freind!

what about the function of these:

DP:

RP:

AP:

10xs

Hi Ali,

I missed that from your original post.

DP means designated ports and RP means root port.

Read this link

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/transbdg.htm

Under Spanning Tree Algorithm it has explained it very nicely with Figure 23-3

Please come back if you have any dobts on the same.

By AP do you means Access Port? If yes access ports are normal ports on which you connect end hosts or end devices and which supports single vlan as compared to trunk ports which supports multiple vlans at a same time.

HTH

Ankur

Ankur My Freind!

i meant by AP:THE Alternate port,any comments

10xs

Hi Ali,

Alternate ports lead to the root bridge, but are not root ports. The alternate ports maintain the STP blocking state.

HTH

Ankur

Ankur my freind!

10xs a lot for all ur replys

regards

Ali

twarner28
Level 1
Level 1

DP is designated Port. For each network segment, there is elected one Designated Bridge. The Designated bridge is determine to have the lowest root path cost to the root bridge (which is upstream). This Designated Bridge will provide a DP for that segment. Basically everyone sends traffic towards the Designated Port to pass traffic up the STP.

RP is selected on per bridge. It's the one port sending traffic towards the root bridge.

AP is alternate port - think of it as the backup to the root port for a bridge. It's in blocking state. If RP fails, an AP will become RP.

Backbone fast is turned on on all switches.

BPDU Guard will put port into err-disable when it receives a BPDU. BPDU Filter will prevent sending of BPDU's.

Efficiency? That depends on your goal. BPDU Guard good if you want to shut down ports when switch is connected. BPDU filter can actually do into STP negoations if enabled globally, but will just ignore BPDU's if enabled locally.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco