ASK THE EXPERT - CISCO NETWORKED PHYSICAL SECURITY PHASE III

Unanswered Question
Apr 20th, 2007

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss with Cisco experts Steve Collen and Hugo Vliegen about Networked Physical Security which is more than just video surveillance. Steve is Marketing Director for Physical Security products in Cisco's Emerging Markets Technology Group. Following product management roles for AT&T and British Telecom, Steve has worked at Cisco for the last 11 years in a variety of product marketing and management roles, focusing on network security, VPN, WAN and routing technologies. Hugo is responsible for developing new markets for the "Cisco Integrated Services Routers" and the Cisco 3200 Series Wireless & Mobile Router. Since 2001, when he assumed this position, he has helped stimulate the adoption of Cisco's Secure DSL Broadband Routers with Service Providers in Europe and has driven the market development for embedding of wireless networking & networked video communications into vehicles such as police cars and passenger trains.

Remember to use the rating system to let Steve and Hugo know if you have received an adequate response.

Steve and Hugo might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through May 4, 2007. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 3.8 (4 ratings)
szcompass Mon, 04/23/2007 - 00:03

Hi Steve,

I have a ASA5100 here and need to have client to site VPN access. There is no problem if the client use dailup to connect to the internet and have VPN access to the site, but if the user connects to the internet through a home broadband, the user can connect to the VPN, but are unable to connect any resource which has been defined by the split tunnel.

Would the be the rounting problem.

Regards,

Eric

dstromain Mon, 04/23/2007 - 11:16

I recently took over as Network Manager in McAllen Texas and am trying to configure a CIsco 2811 ROuter but do not have the enable password to be able to get to the configure mode to default this router. Is there any other way to get around this or any way to default this router or extract this password

dstromain Tue, 04/24/2007 - 19:16

thanks for your prompt and most helpful response and we will rate your help at the highest mark you have

Dale

akinfemiakinyanju Sat, 04/28/2007 - 01:45

Good day,

I would like to know,how I can get the current Cisco Documentation CD.

I am aware that it is not within the purview of this forum.

Thanks for your anticipated response

thomas.chen Tue, 04/24/2007 - 16:39

Hi Hugo,

Does the 3200 have any applicability in wired environments, or is it a pure wireless product?

Thanks

Tom

vliegen Wed, 04/25/2007 - 13:43

Hi Thomas,

Yes, we have customers who are using the 3200 in wired environments as a rugged router. Since the 3200 has several ethernet and serial ports, external wireline modems can be connected. Then we have one 3200 model with a fiber interface and one of our partners provides a DSL modem blade which can be stacked on top of the 3200.

Example Applications are:

- Street Video Surveillance where the 3200 is installed on a light pole. The City of Westminster in London, UK has physically integrated the 3200 into street light poles, while the cameras connect directly to the analog ports of the video server connected to the 3200.

- Traffic Control, where the 3200 networks the traffic control box on to a wireless network, in conjunction with video cameras and posssibly other sensors.

- Next generation phone booths. The 3200 inserted into a traditional outdoor phone booth turns the PSTN phone into a VoIP phone over DSL, along with enabling hotspot access, Kiosk services with integrated LCD display, integrated video surveillance, etc.

- Water and electric utilities, connecting the 3200 to a SCADA network and back-hauling over for instance a T1 network, while optionally enabling a wireless hotspot and video surveillance.

In summary: the Cisco 3200 is a rugged router, which in a wired environment functions like any Cisco router. The Cisco 3200 can be purchased with a Cisco Enclosure, or as standalone printed circuit boards which can be integrated into a 3rd party enclosure by a certified Hardware Design Integrator.

Hope this helps,

Hugo

Hi,

I have a 7200 router which is connected with 100Mbs internet link connected to fastether net interface.

my requrement is to allow only http and https traffic form the lan (filter all other ip services eg .. ping, ftp ..)for this im using access list

access-list 105 permit tcp any any eq 80

and applied to lan interface.

when i applied the access list to lan interface, iam not able to browse any sites, when i checked in the router every thing is blocked..

please help me how to just allow http traffic from lan ..

Thanks

Bhaskar

tenaro.gusatu.novici Wed, 04/25/2007 - 06:56

Hi everybody,

could you please explain in short what is "Networked physical security phase III" all about? Are we talking here about video at all? What products are covered by this? I don't want to push with too many questions before I receive some confirmation we are talking about same thing here :)

Thanks in advance,

Tenaro

tenaro.gusatu.novici Wed, 04/25/2007 - 13:00

Hi again,

I did some browsing on CCO but was unable to find anything about "phase III". So, the question is: what is "phase III"?

Second question is regarding integration of physical security with Unified Communication products (i.e. Call-Manager)? Is there any? For example, am I able to call this new video camera used for video surveilance from my 7985 Cisco IP video phone? Am I able to use video storage system to save video conferencing session between Call-Manager users? Is there any alternative power supply inside new IP video camera and some internal storage system for emergency situations (for example, if somebody cut the UTP cable between PoE switch and camera)?

Last question: is it too much to ask for any roadmap regarding new features in video surveilance products?

Best regards,

Tenaro

vliegen Fri, 05/04/2007 - 12:54

Hi Tenaro,

You are bringing up some very good questions.

Today there is no integration between Cisco's Unified Communication and Video Conferencing suite of products. Although, we cannot disclose roadmaps on this forum, it is pretty obvious that our customers increasingly are going to ask for tighter integration between Video Surveillance, IP Telephony and any other IP-enabled applications.

No, the Cisco IP Video Camera doesn't come with internal storage.

The PoE Version of the IP Video Camera allows for powering with an alternative power supply. However, I need to get input from Steve, whether the PoE power supply and 12VDC power supply can be used at the same time as a fail-over mechanism in case of the UTP cable being cut. I hoping to have an answer on Monday.

Hope this helps, best regards,

Hugo

laut Fri, 04/27/2007 - 01:52

Hi Steve, Hugo,

Is that any way to do the traffic redirection of ASA firewall? Our deployment contain two ASA for different purpose, one for Fw Internet access and the other for VPN site-to-site connection. The default gw is pointing to the Internet one, and apply the command same-security-traffic permit intra. But the result is still failed, we can't access the remote site via the other ASA. Both ASA version are 7.2(2).

Please advice

Thanks

Tony

laut Mon, 04/30/2007 - 00:57

Hi Steve, Hugo,

Any update of the command purpose of "same-security-traffic permit intra". I've tried to place the command to the fw one or VPN one, the ICMP can pass via but application failed. However, if i setup additional router for the default gw, it's working properly. It seems that the command same-security-traffic only allow ICMP traffic.

Please advice

Thanks

Tony

tenaro.gusatu.novici Tue, 05/01/2007 - 11:33

Hi again,

Any response from Steve Collen and Hugo Vliegen will be welcome here! Is somebody inside Cisco forcing you to be part of "Ask-the-expert"? If you are not willing to participate in this why did you even start with it?!? I'll try to help you guys by complaining to local Cisco office (as I don't know e-mail of your boss). Hopefully, you will be released of this task and will enjoy working on something you like.

samfielder Mon, 12/07/2009 - 15:43

Hi,

We have a new Physical Access Server and Video Surveillance Manager System integrated and in a testing phase.

We will have a central site with a dedicated VSOM/VSMS server. THe central site will also house the PAM server.

THe remote site will have a NM Module running VSMS and 4 CIsco 2500 IP cameras. That site also has a PAG, and keypads, device inputs etc.

I want to be able to trigger 20 second video clips to be archived whenever a kepad receives input. THese 20second video clips (and only those clips) should be backed up to a central site. The wont be able to store any video more than a looping archive at the remote site, and we dont want loads of data traversing the WAN (therefore, we only want to backup small triggered clips).

So far I have used a URL action to trigger from teh keypad in the PAM to the trigger an event in the VSOM. This is set to start a "clipped event" from the selected 1-hour looping archive. That 1 hour archive is set to backup events only to a backup server (set as teh IP of the central site VSOM server).

It doesnt seem to work as I thought it would. It seems to be backing up much more data than you would expect. In other words it seems to be sending a large contiguous backup to teh central site.

Please advise as to the best way to approach this problem keeping in mind our storage restraints.

Thanks,
Sam Fielder

Actions

This Discussion