Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst 6500 bootflash

Level 1
Level 1

I am having some trouble understanding the difference between the sup-bootflash and the bootflash on the 6500. on which does the ios image reside. I do a dir and I do not see the filename that is in the 'show version' command

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I am really glade that everything is going great :)

use the "show version" command to check your memory.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

Hi Yolanda,

I can see that you are finding your way through :) You can use the "clear config all", to reset the switch to the factory default setting.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00801dd5d9.html#wp1025367

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

45 Replies 45

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi there,

For the 6500, the sup-bootflash is the Supervisor Engine bootflash, while the bootflash is the MSFC bootflash.

The answer to your question depends on whether you are operating in Hybrid or Native mode, check this link out:

In the hybrid mode, two separate image files are managed by the two different operating systems. The CatOS images are stored on the Supervisor bootflash or flash cards (PCMCIA for Supervisor 1A and Supervisor 2, and Compact Flash for both the Supervisor Engine 32 and Supervisor Engine 720). The Cisco IOS image for the MSFC is stored on the MSFC bootflash.

As for the Native mode Cisco IOS Software requires the single image be present on a device local to the Supervisor because it is a bundled image for two processors and the SP boots first. The image can reside either on the Supervisor bootflash (sup-bootflash:) or the flash card (slot0: or disk0:); it cannot reside on the MSFC bootflash.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008070f124.shtml#dram

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_white_paper09186a00800c8441.shtml

HTH, please rate if it does,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

So if I do a dir sup-bootflash: can you tell me the latest image that should be there or the one I should download and if I do a dir bootflash: what should be there. Thanks you have explained allot to me.

Hi there,

I am glade that you have benefited from my replies, Yes it should be something like this:

cat6509> (enable) dir

-#- -length- -----date/time------ name

1 7885481 Mar 07 2005 13:32:31 cat6000-sup720k9.8-3-7.bin

3156 bytes available (15987628 bytes used)

Did you think about migrating to Native mode?

HTH, please rate if it does help,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

No I will probably stay in hybrid. Although native seems simplier. I am still having some trouble understanding. I guess that is the problem when you switch to a more sophisticated piece of equipment. I miss my 4506. Anyway so I would have to upgrade two different files. One in sup-bootflash and one in bootflash?

Hi,

I am glade that you are becoming an expert now :) Yes if you've decided to upgrade you'll have to upgrade both files Supervisor CatOS (sup-bootflash) and the MSFC IOS (bootflash) (its not obligatory to upgrade both together, for example you can keep the MSFC IOS while upgrade only the Supervisor CatOS), Why do you want to upgrade in first place ?

i hope that i was helpful, please rate if it does,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

I have a new supervisor cat(OS). the latest adventerprisek9 image. I had been trying to tftp that to the sup-bootflash but was having problems deleting the file that was already in there. Reason I was deleting the old one in there was that I did not have enough room. I was even having problems trying to delete that file so I only got as far as copying the adventerprisek9 file to disk0 and called it a day. any ideas.

Hi there,

You can configure a boot command that point to the image on disk0:

set boot system flash disk0:

HTH, please rate the post if it does help,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

I plan on keeping the image there on disk0 for safety reasons but I would like to get it copied into sup-bootflash also. doesn't the switch look there first when it boots up to see if there is a valid image. I am just having problems deleting what is in sup-bootflash now. I have tried the recursive command. any ideas. if i haven't already said so I appreciate the help.

Hi,

There is no problem at all when booting the switch from the disk0, the switch checks the boot command first, and it is recommended to put a second boot command for safety pointing to the other image on the sup-bootflash (by the way the Supervisor names it just bootflash). So it goes either way.

P.S: What is meant by "please rate if it helps" is to give me rating from the drop list on the right (from 1 to 5) for each helpful post :)

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

I will rate you the highest possible. You have been a great help.

I have copied the new adnenterprise image to disk0: and am booting off it now. thanks. I am putting dfc3b's on my copper cards and fiber cards. there is a memory dimm on there that I have to upgrade to 512. do you know the command to actually check the amount of memory on these cards. i want to make sure the new upgraded memory is showing up.

Hi,

I am really glade that everything is going great :)

use the "show version" command to check your memory.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

but will that show me the memory of the sodimm chip I replaced on my copper line card?

I did some research and I can use remote command module 8 show mem summary. This will give me the total memory of the DFC-3B. I put in the ratings for all your help. I am sure I will have more question in the future.

Hi Yolanda,

I am really glade that it worked out with, it was great exchanging knowledge with a smart person like, and you are welcomed any time for further inquires.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco