cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrading firmware question

jjoseph01
Level 3
Level 3

Well, I have very little experience with the 6000 with a MSFC card in it, which is what I found out today that this switch has. My question is this: if I upgrade the switch CatOS firmware, do I have to upgrade the MSFC firmware as well?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi John,

CatOS image is used as the system software to run the Supervisor Engine on Catalyst 6500/6000 switches. If the optional MSFC is installed, a separate Cisco IOS Software image is used to run the MSFC (so no relation between both). This combination is called a Hybrid mode.

Did you think about converting the switch from CatOS to IOS --> Cisco IOS Software on both the Supervisor Engine and MSFC (Native): a single Cisco IOS Software image can be used as the system software to run both the Supervisor Engine and MSFC on Catalyst 6500/6000 switches.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008070f124.shtml

HTH, please rate if it does,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi John,

CatOS image is used as the system software to run the Supervisor Engine on Catalyst 6500/6000 switches. If the optional MSFC is installed, a separate Cisco IOS Software image is used to run the MSFC (so no relation between both). This combination is called a Hybrid mode.

Did you think about converting the switch from CatOS to IOS --> Cisco IOS Software on both the Supervisor Engine and MSFC (Native): a single Cisco IOS Software image can be used as the system software to run both the Supervisor Engine and MSFC on Catalyst 6500/6000 switches.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008070f124.shtml

HTH, please rate if it does,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card