Views
Helpful
Replies

More Vlan Config

andyrintoul
Level 1
Level 1

Scenario:

Two 2950 switches, one in vtp server mode & one in vtp client mode & a trunk between the two. two vlans (vlan1 & vlan2) created on the vtp server switch. Ports 1 & 2 are assigned to vlan1 & ports 3 & 4 are assigned to vlan 2 on the vtp server switch. I now log on to the vtp client & enter the "show vlan" command & the two vlans & port assignments are displayed.

I now assign ports 5 & 6 of the vtp client switch to vlan1 & enter "show vlan" & the new port assignments are displayed. But! If I disconnect from the vtp client switch & then reconnect to the vtp client & enter "show vlan" again, the port assignments that I previously made on the vtp client are no longer shown, only the original assignments made on the vtp server are shown. Why is this?

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As mahmood has already mentioned that by default all the ports are in vlan1, try assign the ports 5&6 to other vlan 1 on you client switch and if you disconnect the switch all the ports will show in their respective vlans. VTP is only used to propogate the vlans from the VTP server to client switches it doesnot propogate or related to the local port assignment of the ports in the vlans.

HTH,

-amit singh

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

I think there is some mis-understanding of VTP with,the VTP only propogates vlan information not the physical port assignment.the ports assigned to the vlans are local.

BTW the ports are by default in vlan 1 until u assing them to any available vlan.

Thanks

Mahmood

Thanks for the help. In my scenario I should have used vlan2 & vlan3 not vlan1 (default vlan), I think I confused the issue my mistakedly using vlan1.

I understand that vtp only propogates vlan information & not port assignments, what was confusing me was that I could see the port assignments that had been made on the vtp server switch when I enter the "show vlan" command from the vtp client switch. I then make some local port assignments on the client & entered a "show vlan" again & it showed the local assignments. But when disconnecting & reconnecting to the vtp client & again entering "show vlan", it again shows the vtp server assignments. I was expecting to see the port assignments that I had previously made on the client??

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As mahmood has already mentioned that by default all the ports are in vlan1, try assign the ports 5&6 to other vlan 1 on you client switch and if you disconnect the switch all the ports will show in their respective vlans. VTP is only used to propogate the vlans from the VTP server to client switches it doesnot propogate or related to the local port assignment of the ports in the vlans.

HTH,

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: