Views
Helpful
Replies

PVST upgrade to Rapid-Spanning Tree

ney25
Level 2
Level 2

Hi NetPro,

currently my network using PVST, just that i would like to try upgrade to Rapid spanning-tree. anything i need to aware ? what's the condition ?

can i directly configure the core switch and change it from PVST to Rapid spanning-tree ?

Regards,

jackal

4 Replies 4

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

Jackal,

Here is a good document that will point you in the right direction.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a00807b0670.shtml

Rapid-PVST+ uses the same BPDU format as the 802.1D and it is backward compatible. It is difficult to convert all the switches in the enterprise network at the same time to rapid-PVST+. Because of the backward compatibility, you can convert phase by phase. It is recommended to implement the changes in the scheduled maintenance window because the spanning tree reconfiguration disrupts the traffic flow.

Please rate helpful posts.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for reply, so is that any impact while migrate from PVST to RSTP ? coz, i am running MPLS network.

your reply will be highly appriciated.

thanks.

Regards,

Jackal

Hi Jackal,

do you have an MPLS cloud over a VLAN infrastructure? Why do you have two control planes?

Regards

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

sorry, i dont quite understand your question.

well, basically my MPLS is lnk up 3 sites.

so, i am just concern about the local site coz, currently i am using PVST, how do i start to migrate from PVST to RSTP ? whereby all are live network .

regards,

Jackal

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card