cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New to the 5500 series switch config

paarlberg
Level 1
Level 1

I am deploying a 5505 in a hosting environment. The following is the configuration.

WS-X5530

WS-X5302

WS-X5224

WS-X5224

WS-X5225R

We will have about 70 servers in the next year most will be in 2 VLANs. 1 VLAN will have about 75% of the servers.

I have 2 of the switches available and I am trying to decide if it is best to put the 2 primary VLANs on their own switches. There are 2 other VLAN groups for client servers which will be 400 different VLANs max.

We will have 2 upstream providers. The primary is a direct connect to a Tier 1 and the secondary is to a Tier 2 (colo provider).

I would like to terminate the VLANs on the switches and not trunk the server vlans to the routers. The upstreams are connected to 2 3640 routers.

Any suggestions? I have the IOS side covered, but the CatOS is new to me and trying to simplify the config as much as possible.

We can get another 5500 series for spares if needed so using 1 of the 2 switches as a spare is not required.

We use VRRP on the routers for the internal and external interfaces as well.

I was thinking the easiest way to do this is to put the 2 primary vlans on their own switch. 1 uplink from each switch to the routers and a cross connect between the switches. This will provide some failover on the switches.

Will be using OSPF and BGP on the switches and routers.

Once I have the config determined, I will need some guidance on the switch (CatOS) config.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: