DHCP based autoconfiguration - Catalyst 2900XL and 3500XL

junwu_key
Level 1
Level 1

According to this (from 2900XL configuration guide):

When you boot your switch, the DHCP client can be invoked and automatically

request configuration information from a DHCP server under the following

conditions:

? The configuration file is not present on the switch.

? The configuration file is present, but the IP address is not specified in it.

? The configuration file is present, the IP address is not specified in it, and the

service config global configuration command is included. This command

enables the autoloading of a configuration file from a network server.

If I remove config.text from switch. The switch will boot with default configuration without sending out DHCP discovery.

If I have config.text with "service config" inside, the switch will send broadcast to look for bootp server but still not DHCP.

On 2912XL, I am using "12.0(5)WC17" (c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC17.bin); on 3524XL I am using "12.0(5)WC15" (c3500xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC15.bin).

Can someone explain to me how to config this two switches for DHCP based autoconfiguration? Thanks

6 Replies 6

Craig Balfour
Level 1
Level 1

I think your IOS is too old and doesn't support the feature.

According to the Cisco Feature Navigator (http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp) "Autoinstalling Using DHCP for LAN interfaces" only became available in 12.1(5).

Thank you, Cbalfour.

Searching all over Cisco web site, looks like I am already using the latest release for 2900XL.

Following your link, I did not see the info you bring up. Are you sure it's about switch autoconfiguration, not router?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Not sure why you would want to bother , hardcode the address and be done with it , then you know what the address is .

We have about 30 switches in the lab for each vlan. We would like to have a centralized standard configuration for each setup.

Can someone answer my question?

Your comments is highly appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco