DHCP based autoconfiguration - Catalyst 2900XL and 3500XL

junwu_key
Level 1
Level 1

According to this (from 2900XL configuration guide):

When you boot your switch, the DHCP client can be invoked and automatically

request configuration information from a DHCP server under the following

conditions:

? The configuration file is not present on the switch.

? The configuration file is present, but the IP address is not specified in it.

? The configuration file is present, the IP address is not specified in it, and the

service config global configuration command is included. This command

enables the autoloading of a configuration file from a network server.

If I remove config.text from switch. The switch will boot with default configuration without sending out DHCP discovery.

If I have config.text with "service config" inside, the switch will send broadcast to look for bootp server but still not DHCP.

On 2912XL, I am using "12.0(5)WC17" (c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC17.bin); on 3524XL I am using "12.0(5)WC15" (c3500xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC15.bin).

Can someone explain to me how to config this two switches for DHCP based autoconfiguration? Thanks

6 Replies 6

Craig Balfour
Level 1
Level 1

I think your IOS is too old and doesn't support the feature.

According to the Cisco Feature Navigator (http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp) "Autoinstalling Using DHCP for LAN interfaces" only became available in 12.1(5).

Thank you, Cbalfour.

Searching all over Cisco web site, looks like I am already using the latest release for 2900XL.

Following your link, I did not see the info you bring up. Are you sure it's about switch autoconfiguration, not router?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Not sure why you would want to bother , hardcode the address and be done with it , then you know what the address is .

We have about 30 switches in the lab for each vlan. We would like to have a centralized standard configuration for each setup.

Can someone answer my question?

Your comments is highly appreciated.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card