cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SCCP or SIP?

jivorivor1
Level 1
Level 1

We have recently had a cisco VOIP solution installed with CCM 5.1 put in. Everything is working great and no problems. However I have noticed that our system is using SCCP as the basis for phones rather than SIP. Eventually when SIP trunking is available in my area I would definitely like to implement it but that would mean an entire reworking of our CCM to change them from SCCP to SIP. So why would our installer use SCCP instead of SIP because from my readings SIP is supposed to be the future of IP telephony.

What adavantages/disadvantages does SIP or SCCP have over each other?

I am aware that with SIP you can do things with presence such as with Cisco Personal Communicator which is nice.

I am just not understanding why a new install would not use SIP other than maybe the installer is not really familiar with SIP installs.

Any and all responses are greatly appreciated.

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The supposed advantages of SIP over SCCP are largely overplayed by Cisco to gain customer base and give the perception that is a company totally devoted to open standards.

The reality is a bit different.

First, the standard for most installations (large or small) and driving of many new features is SCCP, not SIP. SCCP is a simpler protocol however can be extended to support all what SIP does. So expect SCPP support for Presence and new features too.

Regarding integration with an ITSP, it is not necessary for the phone to use SIP. The device that needs to talk SIP is the CM only, as it will "proxy" all the phones behind it. You can do that with you CM 5.1 today as the ITSP (the large ones) are really global and not tied to any area in particular. If you want to add some SIP phones, you can do that without problem, the CCM will support a mixed set of phones.

You can see that Cisco's interest for SIP on the phone is a little bit more marketing than reality also by looking at the pace of progress of implementation. Yes there are frequent software releases but most are done to mantain feature equivancy with SCCP and bug fixes (many). After five year of introduction, SIP firmware still does not support localization! I see theat the "hooks" are in place but Ciso never officially releases the dictionary files. This mean in practice, diverting ALL the international market from SIP.

One final thing, CCM added third-party support for SIP phones just recently. CCME did not even get to thi step, although is supposed to do that soon. Result, you buy a nice Linksys phone (a Cisco company) and is not officially supported if doesn't work when connecting to your CCME. On the contrary, the latest phones released for CCME (and CCM later), the 7931, supports SCCP only.

Still convinced that SIP is so strategic to Cisco as touted ?

jconi
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Concerning CCM 5.1, SIP soesn't support the 7914 extension module, and Attendant Console.

I also had a bug (I must confirm that with the TAC) using SIP and overlap sending for international calls (calls cut down after 3 mns because of no reply to a SIP INVITE).

So I wanted to use SIP, but I'm poised to use SCCP. anyway that's not a real problem for me.

Note that using Personal Communicator does not interfer with the protocol used for the IP Phones, i.e. you can have SCCP phones and personal communicator (which effectivly works in SIP).

jp

Thanks for your reply. That was abig thing that I wanted to know, if you could use personal communicator while the phones were in SCCP. Sincerely

Hi Jason,

My company is thinking to installing a new VoIP solution for our phone system. They need to know what it will cost before they make a commitment. We will have about twenty users. Any ideas or suggestions? I know they will need a router, a switch, IP phones. I am thinking Cisco Call Manager Express and Cisco Unity Express can handle 20 people. I would also like to know the cost of installation. Any ideas from you or anybody else on the forum will be highly appreciated.

Hi, as prices varies by options chosen, model and country, consult your cisco reseller or the leading auction site for pricing information.

I wish I could help you out but I am clueless on what the cost would be for the CCE and Unity express as we purchased the full callmanager and unity packages and im sure those are much more expensive.

router - approx 2600 for 2811 with voice bundle

switch - 2-3k with 2950 non powered 24 port and 24 port midspan

20 - 7941 maybe 200 each with license

these are very rough estimates as i dont know much on the cisco pricing scheme especially the express servers or the license pricing

installation - i am clueless about because i dont know where your at, what they charge per hour basis, and how much time to put into the smaller servers

i can tell you one thing that before we had the cisco solution in place we had a new system wide NEC solution that was put in 6 months prior and totally messed up our customer base because of misrouted calls between sites. since the cisco solution was put in our phones have been pretty much trouble free and has been fairly easy for me to adjust and make chages to and im not certified in anything cisco wise. i can highly recommend the cisco voip solution as long as your market is pricing it fairly competitively with other vendor solutions. your company will love it once it is in place as it is very easy for the users to operate and understand

call cisco and they will send people out to talk to you so you can get bids, its what i did

hope this helps

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: