cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LAP don't registered

ricardorojas123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a wireleess lan controllers in the main branch and I have a lighweigh access point in a remote branch, the local aps joins in the wireless lan controllers (4400 serie), but the remote aps no enjoys. From the CLI of LAP I reach the wireless lan controllers but this ap no enjoy in the wireless lan controllers. Which is the problem?

LWAPP Static IP Configuration

IP Address 193.9.209.199

IP netmask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 193.9.209.1

The address of the wireless lan controllers is 193.9.212.100. Ping from the remote branch:

ap#ping 193.9.212.100

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 193.9.212.100, timeout is 2 seconds:

!!!!!

Success rate is 100chs percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 4/7/17 ms

These are the messagesof the remote access points:

*Mar 1 00:00:28.360: %LWAPP-5-CHANGED: LWAPP changed state to DISCOVERY

*Mar 1 00:00:28.373: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to reset

*Mar 1 00:00:28.410: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to up

*Mar 1 00:00:28.412: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Dot11Radio1, changed state to down

*Mar 1 00:00:28.413: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Dot11Radio1, changed state to reset

*Mar 1 00:00:38.832: %LWAPP-5-CHANGED: LWAPP changed state to JOIN

*Mar 1 00:00:38.833: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to administratively down

*Mar 1 00:00:38.833: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Dot11Radio1, changed state to administratively down

*Mar 1 00:00:39.833: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to down

*Mar 1 00:00:39.833: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Dot11Radio1, changed state to down

*Mar 1 00:00:43.833: LWAPP_CLIENT_ERROR_DEBUG: spamHandleJoinTimer: Did not recieve the Join response

*Mar 1 00:00:43.833: LWAPP_CLIENT_ERROR_DEBUG: No more AP manager IP addresses remain.

*Mar 1 00:00:43.875: %SYS-5-RELOAD: Reload requested by LWAPP CLIENT. Reload Reason: DID NOT GET JOIN RESPONSE.

*Mar 1 00:00:43.875: %LWAPP-5-CHANGED: LWAPP changed state to DOWN

The Arquitecture of the network is composed by extreme networks devices and nortel devices. This influences in the integration of the wireless lan controllers in the network. The Cisco devices are the wireless lan controllers 4402 and lighweight access point serie 1131.

13 Replies 13

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rojas,

The reason AP on remote site is not joining the controller is because when APs are in different subent then controller management subnet then AP need to be aware what is the controller management ip address either via DHCP option 43 or via DNS.

Check this link for more information

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/control/c44/ccfig40/c40lwap.htm#wp1105242

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate helpfull post

The AP on the remote site already has the ip information, the which is the following:

LWAPP Static IP Configuration

IP Address 193.9.209.199

IP netmask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 193.9.209.1

WLC: 193.9.212.100

This information and the address of the wireless lan controller was entered in the wireless lan controllers through of GUI. If the ip information of the ap was wrong, I dont could have conectivity between the ap and the WLC.

Hi Ricardo,

As you mentioned the ip address anc controller information was entered into AP via GUI which means to me that your AP was first connected to the controller on local site and once configured you sent the AP to remote site? Correct me if I am wrong.

Also which section of GUI you used to enter controller ip address? I believe you must have gone to Ap detail page and under primary controller you might have defined the ip address?

If yes then we need not define controller ip address under primary controller but we have to define the controller name.

Even if your AP is having a static ip address but does not know the controller ip address it will still be able to ping from AP to controller but because AP does not which controller to join is the reason it is not able to join your controller and is the reason in debugs you see NO MORE AP MANAGER found and not able to get the join response.

I will recommend you to put this AP back to local site and configure your controller system name under primary controller name when you AP joins controller on local site.

HTH

Ankur

Yes, I connected the aps in the same subnet than the wireless lan controllers, and I used the All>Details seccion for enter the ip information for the ap. And check the box of the "AP Static IP" and entered the information and the ip address of the wireless lan controllers in the Primary Controller Name box. If the arquitecture of de network use cisco, extreme network, novell devices, this influences in integration of the WLC, or maybe the paquet UDP are being blocked, o lack enable ip helper for the send UDP paquet for the network, Is the same enter the ip address o the name of wireless lan controllers in the "Primary Controller Name" box ?

Hi Ricardo,

No its not same, if you enter the ip address of controller in "Primary Controller Name" box it will presume that as a controller name and because that name oes not exist it will never join controller.

So instead of ip address you have to enter controller system name in "Primary Controller Name" box and then it will join the controller from remote site also.

HTH

Ankur

Ankur, thank for your time, but if I specific the name of wireless lan controllers I must have a DNS server?

Reading the Phases of LWAPP, the ap discover the WLC because the AP enter to the step of join.

AP - Discovery Request

WLC- Discovery Response

AP - Join Request

WLC- Join Response

*Mar 1 00:00:28.360: %LWAPP-5-CHANGED: LWAPP changed state to DISCOVER

*Mar 1 00:00:38.832: %LWAPP-5-CHANGED: LWAPP changed state to JOIN

Hi Ricardo,

Yes it is always a confusion about specifying Controller name and many of us think we need a DNS server to resolve the name but its not the same story.

When it moves to Discovery stage and then to join stage it looks for controller name and when AP already have a controller name spcified it will get a join response from the same.

Just give it a try putting AP back to local site and then configuring controller name as primary controller name in that box and bring it back to remote site and I believe it should join the controller.

Regards,

Ankur

OK Ankur,

In conclussion I don't need a DNS server if entered the name of the WLC.

I have another doubt when one entered the command:

lwapp controller ip address IP-address

It does not specify the name of the WLC, this command specific the address of the WLC. This is succesful?

When I try enter this command appears the next message:

ERROR!!! Command is disabled

How I can enabled this command?

Hi Ricardo,

Any configuration command will not work on LWAPP APs. You cannot enable these commands.

Although there is a workaround which is bit tedious. You can issue "dir flash" command and then check the LWAPP image name. There will be one RCKV (recovery image) leaving that you can delete the other lwapp image and then you can enter "test lwapp controller "

But I will not recommend this procedure and if possible I will recommed you to tak the AP on local site make it join controller and specify controller name and then APPLy and save the config. Bring the AP back to remote site and I believe it should work.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Ok, Ankur I will solicit sent of return of the LAP, for do the mofications.

Ankur, there isn't problem if the network is composed of other marks (novell and extreme).

If the name of wireless lan controllers was the problem I rate your answers, ok?

See you and thnaks

Hi Ricardo

In order to get the remote AP working you need to do the following:

1) In DHCP (for the IP Address range of the AP), specify Option 43 (Vendor Specific Information) and Code 241 (IP Address of Controller.

2) Reboot AP so that it can recommunicate with the DHCP.

It should now join the WLC. (No need to try and configure the WLC name on the AP).

Once the AP has joined the WLC you need to do the following:

1) Log into the WLC via HTTPS and navigate to the Wireless Page

2) Select the Remote AP (via MAC Address) and Edit the properties of the AP.

3) Specify it as a REAP (It's Role) - Remote Edge AP.

This will allow the AP to function normally at the remote site but remember that no Wireless connectivity at the remote site will be possible if the link between main site and remote site goes down as the AP can not communicate then with the WLC.

HTH

Let me know

Steven

Thank Steven, but I don't have a DHCP server, so I configured static IP information of AP through of WLC in the same subnet, in the section All APs>>Detaills, and I entered the IP Address, MAsk, default gateway of the other subnet and the ip address of the WLC in the "Primary Controller Name" box, but the AP don't registered in the WLC, Why? In the "Primary Controller Name" the address of the WLC is not the correct parameter? Is the name of WLC?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card