cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunking with Cisco 4506 n 3Com 2848-SFP switches

gzbrowniii
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 4506 for my core doing Layer 3 routing. I want to trunk ports from the Cisco to the 3Com's for high bandwidth , ie - bonding 2 Gigabit ports together on each switch. Is that possible?? Tks.

4 Replies 4

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

It is very well possible. You can configure protocol LACP which is open standard protocol for dynamic port channel configuration between different vendor products.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/12_1_20/config/channel.htm#wp1040261

HTH

Ankur

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, that's possible. First create a trunk port on the 4500 switch and change the native vlan to some unused vlan. Cisco trunk port uses native vlan as Vlan1 by default which is not used in the 3Com switches. Do this on Cat4500

Conf t

int gig x/y

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan

switchport native vlan 999 <-- this vlan is some unsed vlan on Cat4500.

On 3Com switch, you have to manually tag all the vlans that you want to pass between the two switches.Use the allowed vlan list as mentioned above to allow specific vlan to travel across the trunk port. Also make sure that you are running the required STP mode between the switch i.e make sure that you are running PVST+ atleast on cat4500.

HTH,Please rate if it does

-amit singh

Great. Thanks I will give that a shot.

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sorry, I forgot to paste the link for etherchannel config. Please use the link pasted above by Ankur or the one below

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/12_2_31a/config/channel.htm

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco