cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Remote Desktop Access with Belkin N1 Router

millionaire100
Level 1
Level 1

OK, networks et al are not my thing, so please be gentle. If this should be posted somewhere else, please let me know!

I have previously been able to use VPN remote desktop to access my PC at work via details provided by our IT dept... This was with an ASDL USB modem and I never had any problems.

We recently installed a Belkin N1 router at home and I'm having problems accessing my work PC now. I can still log on to the VPN, but when connecting to my IP, the remote desktop screen is black (bar the minimise/maximise/close bar at the top.

Is there something that I need to config on the router? Any help appreciated as I can't get an answer from our IT dept!

Cheers

2 Replies 2

sbilgi
Level 5
Level 5

I think remote desktop has nothing to do with VPN. Unless you are doing something else like turning on incoming access (PPTP VPN) on Windows XP then you are not actually having a problem with a VPN setup. I'm guessing you are not using the correct IP address for remote desktop or your port forwarding is not setup correctly. For reference remote desktop uses TCP port 3389. You need to forward inbound requests for port 3389 on your router to the internal IP address of your work desktop computer. Then you need to put the public IP address into your PC when you try to connect. If you do not have a static IP address on your internet connection then you should use a service like dyndns.org with a client program like directupdate.net to point to your dynamic IP address.

Fairly sure it'll be the port set-ups on the router. Cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: