cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Laptops dropping LAN Connection

rcrippen1
Level 1
Level 1

After a recent IOS upgrade to Cisco 3750's, appear to be experiencing intermittent LAN connection drops on IBM t43 laptops using the BroadCOM NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet NIC's. Upgraded IOS to 12.2(35)se1 and ever since laptops will drop off the network. Only fix so far is to clear arp-cache on the 3750 and connection is restored immediately. Background: 2 3750's stacked and dual homed to 2 6509's. Able to ping from laptop to core 6509 (sw2) directly connected to 3750 the laptop is connected, but unable to ping other 6509(sw1)which has connection to 6509(sw2). No port security turned on, all speed/duplex is configured correctly, please help!!!

10 Replies 10

leighharrison
Level 7
Level 7

Hey there,

I think that the answer here is to downgrade the IOS and open a case with TAC!

If it worked before you changed the IOS and then doesn't work after you've changed it, then that does point a finger. Get it downgraded to restore service for your users, but mention it to TAC first as they might want you to run some debugs for them to analyse.

Best Regards,

LH

** Please rate all posts **

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

Is this problem specific to the particular make of laptops ? Are you able to get all other make's desktops/laptops running?

Regards

JD

This is specific to the t43 model laptops we have. The environment consists of HP VL420 PC's with 100MB NICs, some linux machines and the laptops. I also have a second laptop (IBM T22) that I have not had any issues with. For reference the t43 laptops are set to auto negotiate at 1GB.

Hi

I think its the link negotiation problem.Can u try disabling/enabling the LAN cards. Or manually setting them 100Mb/full duplex.

Regards

JD

I have tried that and still no luck.

Hi

Then there is no other way. Maybe an IOS bug or so.

Open a TAC case.They should be able to help.

But first restore the original IOS. Does the same problem persists?

Regards

JD

dfasnacht
Level 1
Level 1

We are having the same problem with IBM t43 laptops. We are running 12.2.(25)SEE2. Has there been a resolution to this issue? I have search the TAC cases and did not see anything.

Thanks,

Diane

We were running 12.2(35)SE1. There was a known bug so I upgraded to 12.2(35)SE2 as suggested by TAC. Have not had the problem occur since, its been approx 1.5 months. Hope this helps

Regan

(403)234-5860

Do you have the Bug ID #?

Thanks,

Diane

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card