cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Choosing different paths to MAN routing.

rodmont74
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, my company is deploying a MAN for a new office using a 100Mbs L2 link and a 34Mbs L2 link for backup. Infrastructure includes Cisco IPT and management wants to use larger link for data and smaller one to voice, keeping QoS on both of them and being redundant against each other.

Global policy states we use EIGRP locally and BGP for intersite connections (intersite conns are provided by global MPLS network and carrier provided routers redistributing BGP and EIGRP routes back and forth).

I am allowed to use BGP locally using another AS for this tasks, which looks to me a very good solution. Just wondering if someone has another approach/idea for that task. Load balacing thru EIGRP is a fallback so I am not considering it for now.

The L2 connections will go from a 3750 Catalyst to a 4507 Catalyst switch. Both them with 12.2 EMI and Enterprise images. Thanks a lot.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Obvisouly, If one of your link is down, EIGRP will converge very fast.

Pls rate the posts if they have helped.

regards

JD

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

One Question: If these are L2 links, then also u are using BGP?

JD

Thanks for quick reply. I meant, carrier will provide us what they call LAN-2-LAN in Brazil, not sure of other market names. I will have both switchports direct on their UTP cables, so I can use switch ports as L2 or L3. If L2, we could partition STP instances using some of its variations. But I would not want to have STP going back and forth in the MAN link. I don't use BGP today at these links but we are considering doing that.

Thanks.

Hi

If its a L2 link then why are you worried so much. I believe that both the the links will terminate on ethernet.

Why make switchports?

Make them router ports, enable EIGRP, config Policy base routing (PBR) for traffic and that all....

Here is sample config to make switchports to routerports:

Site A

int f0/0

description 100M link

no switchport

ip add 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.252

int f0/1

dec 45M link

no switchport

ip add 10.0.0.5 255.255.255.252

int f0/2

dec ethernet

10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

router eigrp 1

net 10.0.0.0

Site B

int f0/0

description 100M link

no switchport

ip add 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.252

int f0/1

dec 45M link

no switchport

ip add 10.0.0.6 255.255.255.252

int f0/2

dec ethernet

10.10.20.1 255.255.255.0

router eigrp 1

net 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0

Below is a link for configuring PBR

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fqos_c/fqcprt1/qcfpbr.htm

This scenerio is analogus of having 2 serial links and enabling/shaping traffic between them.

I will update the post in case I find some similar examples.

Hope that will help.

Regards

JD

Thanks again. This looks much simpler than what I thought first. It will keep configuration cleaner to maintain.

Regards.

Just a quick question. When one of the links is down, would PBR with EIGRP converge to re-route traffic?

Thanks.

Hi

Obvisouly, If one of your link is down, EIGRP will converge very fast.

Pls rate the posts if they have helped.

regards

JD

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card