cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Download speed ???

iqbalkhan
Level 1
Level 1

ISP give me a line 128/96 d/u speed line.

but some days i face slow browsing. when i download a file i get speed first 20 kb then decrease to stable 4/5 kbs.

So How I measure the actual speed from ISP and claim to them. any software or eassy way to accurate messure speed .??

Thanks

Biplob

9 Replies 9

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi there,

Most probably the provider is doing oversubscribtion, you can use "CyberGauge" software to monitor your router interfaces bw utilization (you'll need to configure snmp on your router, its something like this "snmp-server community bw RO").

HTH, please rate if it does,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

My connection is not to router from router end ISP a cable is connected to my switch. so when all user of my site stop work then time i want to varification from my pc. it is possible ?.

Thanks

Biplob

Hi

My another quary is, what is the procedure that I can calculate How BW ISP give me realy.

Like an example ISP saya he give me 128 Kb dowload speed but what is the procedure to experiment that at realy they give me 128 Kb BW.

Thanks

Biplob

Hi there,

The simplest way to do this, is by configuring snmp on whatever router or switch you are connected to your ISP with, and use a BW meter software like CyberGauge to monitor the interface connected to your provider while trying to congest the link by downloading many files simultaneously to see the max download speed granted.

HTH, please rate if helpful,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi,

Basically the download , FTP etc are using TCP and due to the window mechanism in TCP you will not be able to see full download speed when you alone are using the internet and downloading a file. incase you want to really feel the difference, use a download accelerator and try downloading the same file with and without download accelerator. with download accelerator (which opens multiple sessions for downloading same file), you will get maximum througput/bandwidth on the link.

HTH

regards

Param

Hi

It is conflict to me I know for Bandwidth test , when no user connheected time then time if i download 30Mb file from net and measure the speed but in here you r telling that when all user connected then time test download a file for test ?.

so it is conflict to me. pls clear to me.

I think many user doubt of it.

Thanks

Biplob

Hi there,

To test your bandwidth when no users except you are connected, you'll have to do 1 of 2 things, either use a download accelerator (as the previous poster said, it opens multiple sessions), or the other option is to try to download multiple files. (to work around the TCP global sync issue)

The aim here is to congest the link and measure the maximum bw that you can get from it.

HTH, please rate if helpful,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi

thaks to you all who are share your knowledge.

Biplob

Hi Biplob,

You are always welcomed.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: