cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3560 versus 4948

studenticu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, can someoane please explain to me what is the biggest differece between this 2 switches 3560 and 4948 (not throughput or dual power supply on 4948).

What is the functional advantage of the 4948 over the 3560 (i.e. what kind of configuration/network feature can't be done with the 3560).

It was said that the 4948 can "preserve the LAN traffic separation over one WAN link" while that 3560 does not do that.

thanks in advance and looking for your answer.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ticu,

If you are talking about MVRF-CE or Vrf lite, then the 3560 does support it.

Have a look at this link

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns658/c654/cdccont_0900aecd804a16ae.pdf

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Cat4948 is a switch with line rate forwarding on all the ports with a non-blocking architecture. This switch is specially designed for server connectivity in a server farm. It has 96Gbps backplane and provide wire rate traffic forwrading on all the ports. So no oversubscription on the ports. 3560 only supportes 32Gbps backplane capacity and there will be some oversubscription when you are using a 48 port 10/100/1000 switch.

4948 has provision for easy migration 10 GE in near future while 3560 doesnot support 10GE ports.We already have new 3560-E switches which have provision for 10GE ports also.

What do you mean by "preserve the LAN traffic separation over one WAN link" please explain this in details.

HTH,

-amit singh

One more thing to add to amit's post

3560 series has POE capable switch whereas the 4948 doesn't

As already said it has been designed for server farms to provide line rate performance and hence does not require POE

Narayan

When I say "preserve the LAN traffic separation over one WAN link" I refer to the feature "multiple virtual router instances"

that the 4948 provides but the 3560 does not. It this true ?

Thanks in advance!

Ticu

Ticu,

If you are talking about MVRF-CE or Vrf lite, then the 3560 does support it.

Have a look at this link

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns658/c654/cdccont_0900aecd804a16ae.pdf

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card