Views
Helpful
Replies

bandwithlimit on a egress port - cat2960

rabeder
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

i have a 2960 switch, on whic i have to limit the bandwith on port fa0/25 to 100kb/s.

i tried the command "srr-queue bandwith limit 10" and defined "bandw 1000" on the fa0/24.

so 10% of 1000kb/s is 100kb/s - but there was no effekt

any idea ?

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Switches are not the best tool to limit bandwidth. Sometime they work, sometime they don't.

I suggest you use a router to limit bandwidth, or make this question again in the LAN forum (this one is WAN0.

hi,

thanks for answer.

i configured it like it is described with the

"srr-queue bandwidth limit" command.

the problem ( i think) is that the switch does not react on the "bandwith" command.

it always says it is a 100mb/s interface and

the range for limiting is from 10 to 100%

so the minimum bandwidth i can shape is 10mb/s.

does anybody know if this is right or is there a command where the switch looks at the "bandwith" command ??

thanks for any answer

Hi rabeder,

The 2960 should support "srr-queue bandwidth limit" however you're correct in saying that the minimum rate is 10% so the lowest you can shape to is 1Mbps if you force the interface to 10Mbps full duplex.

"srr-queue bandwidth limit" limits based on a percentage of the physical line rate - it is not related to the "bandwidth" interface command.

If you want shaping to a granularity of 100kbps then you should be looking at a router to do this as mentioned by p.bevilacqua.

Regards,

Brad

Ratings appreciated.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card