Views
Helpful
Replies

bandwithlimit on a egress port - cat2960

rabeder
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

i have a 2960 switch, on whic i have to limit the bandwith on port fa0/25 to 100kb/s.

i tried the command "srr-queue bandwith limit 10" and defined "bandw 1000" on the fa0/24.

so 10% of 1000kb/s is 100kb/s - but there was no effekt

any idea ?

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Switches are not the best tool to limit bandwidth. Sometime they work, sometime they don't.

I suggest you use a router to limit bandwidth, or make this question again in the LAN forum (this one is WAN0.

hi,

thanks for answer.

i configured it like it is described with the

"srr-queue bandwidth limit" command.

the problem ( i think) is that the switch does not react on the "bandwith" command.

it always says it is a 100mb/s interface and

the range for limiting is from 10 to 100%

so the minimum bandwidth i can shape is 10mb/s.

does anybody know if this is right or is there a command where the switch looks at the "bandwith" command ??

thanks for any answer

Hi rabeder,

The 2960 should support "srr-queue bandwidth limit" however you're correct in saying that the minimum rate is 10% so the lowest you can shape to is 1Mbps if you force the interface to 10Mbps full duplex.

"srr-queue bandwidth limit" limits based on a percentage of the physical line rate - it is not related to the "bandwidth" interface command.

If you want shaping to a granularity of 100kbps then you should be looking at a router to do this as mentioned by p.bevilacqua.

Regards,

Brad

Ratings appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card