cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP/Serial line drop

tbarnett
Level 1
Level 1

A typical scenario 2621xm router with e1 link BGP running, How many hits would the cisco router need to have to take the BGP down or how long would the hits have to be .ie 200 ms ??

7 Replies 7

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi there,

If you are talking about the BGP keepalive period then it is every 60 seconds by default.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Mohmemmed

Its not actually the BGP keepalive period, its how long would a hit on the serial link have to be for the router to take the link down

Hi Terry,

I think that this depends in the interface keepalives period (10 seconds by default), kindly use this link to troubleshoot serial lines problems:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/itg_v1/tr1915.htm

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Mohammed

I think we are getting mixed up with the actual information i require.

Basically i am trying to distinguish if a local tail cct is taking hits, and they are <=50ms would a cisco router determined these as a drop , if not, what is that actual time in ms that a cisco router will recognise as a hit ?

Hi there,

Sorry for misunderstanding your question, i'll trying to figure it out for you.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Tks Mohammed

I just need to recognise what the default value is that the interface will be declared down due to a hit

tbarnett
Level 1
Level 1

Hi i know how to actually troubleshoot serial links , its how many times a router requires to see a hit before it will take it down?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card