Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Operation

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

I am a little bit confused about HSRP.I know why it is used for.But i just want to confrim the below query.

i have 2 3560's configured HSRP between them.As long as the link between them is trunk everything is fine,when i changed the link to layer 3 link it doesnt work.I thing i m missing something here.

Any help appriciated.

Thanks

Mahmood

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mahmood,

Please see my explaination in the eariler post. If you configure the L3 links between the 2 switches, only the HSRP hellos for those links will be sent over the L3 connection. For sending the HSRP hellos for other vlans, you have to configure a trunk port between the 2 switches.

If you have an access switch connected to both the switches, then configure the link as trunk link between access switch and both the 3560's. This will make sure that if you have HSRP configured for all the VLANS, then the trunk link via access switch will be used for forwarding the HSRP hellos for all the Vlans.

In a typical design recommendation you should run all the links as L2 links and configure the HSRP for all the vlans.

HTH,

-amit singh

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mahmood,

What is your overall network topolgy. Do you any access switches connected to the 3560's or not.

How many vlans have you configured for HSRP. If you have multiple vlans on the switches and not using any access switch to connect to these, then you to configure the link as a trunk link between the switches. Trunk link will carry HSRP hellos for all the vlans. If you configure the link as L3 link, then the port will itself as a separate L3 link and will carry the HSRP hellos for that subnet/port only if configured for HSRP.

Let us know your overall topology and will try to solve the issue that you have.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Hi Amit

Thanks for the reply.I was just doing this in the Lab.There is one access switch connected to one switch and on one of the 3560 i connected oe system i.e in vlan 2.

When i configured HSRP for the layer 3 itself it seems to be fine i mean HSRP is working for that subnet.

Thanks

Mahmood

Mahmood,

Good to know its fine now.

-amit singh

Hi Amit

No is not fine i mean the i configured HSRP for the layer 3 link.i want to know why HSRP didnt work between the other vlans.

Thanks

Mahmood

Mahmood,

Please see my explaination in the eariler post. If you configure the L3 links between the 2 switches, only the HSRP hellos for those links will be sent over the L3 connection. For sending the HSRP hellos for other vlans, you have to configure a trunk port between the 2 switches.

If you have an access switch connected to both the switches, then configure the link as trunk link between access switch and both the 3560's. This will make sure that if you have HSRP configured for all the VLANS, then the trunk link via access switch will be used for forwarding the HSRP hellos for all the Vlans.

In a typical design recommendation you should run all the links as L2 links and configure the HSRP for all the vlans.

HTH,

-amit singh

Hi Amit

Thanks for the reply,it means that my assumption was correct i.e for HSRP to work u need to have L2 link between the router or switches.Your explantion was very good.

Thanks

Mahmood

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco