cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP / OSPF / Gateway of Last Resort

mike.walter
Level 1
Level 1

We have (2) 72xx routers with 3 internet connections. We are running BGP and OSPF. We currently get our gateway of last resort from only one provider. We had problems with that provider on Monday, and we lost the gateway of last resort. We are distributing the gateway via OSPF to all other routers. So when we lost that, most of our network was impacted. I have talked with one of the other providers and they too can send us the zeros. Is there going to be a network problem if I have all 3 providers send down the zeros? I have done some research and don't believe so, but wanted to get the communities input.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Mike,

This should not be a problem. You can receive multiple default routes from different neighbors.

If OSPF is being used, i would send the default as type E1 so that the internal cost is taken into consideration for selecting the gateway.

If BGP is being used, then you can use any of the attributes like weight, local_pref to prefer a particular gateway.

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Mike,

This should not be a problem. You can receive multiple default routes from different neighbors.

If OSPF is being used, i would send the default as type E1 so that the internal cost is taken into consideration for selecting the gateway.

If BGP is being used, then you can use any of the attributes like weight, local_pref to prefer a particular gateway.

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Thank you, that was the answer I was looking for.

Have a good day.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card