cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Point to Point

phusion36
Level 1
Level 1

We are looking to get a point to point from "office a" to "office b" with a T1 line. We have several spare cisco 1721 routers and wanted to see if we could use those to connect the two offices? I am not sure if we will be able to use a 1721 to terminate? Does anyone have any helpful information on configuring a PPP over ethernet between two offices using cisco 1721 routers?

5 Replies 5

mounir.mohamed
Level 7
Level 7

Dear phusion36,

I can not understand ur question 100%, you said you gone use T1 between to sites, is such T1 will be leased line or through ISP? also why do u need PPP over ethernet config?

Please rate helpful posts

Best Regards,

Mounir Mohamed

The person who does our router configurations is unfortunately in the hospital at the current time and unavailable to us so sorry if I am not asking hte right questions. I am just trying to see if we are going to need to by any additional equipment and see what we would need to do moving forward. With that said we had ordered a point to point from XO and will be paying monthly for that connection between the two offices. There will be no Internet connected to the line, just a way for the two offices to have a pipe to transfer large files daily. They will be transferring scanned in documents from "office b" to "office a". We have quite a few docs to scan at that location and the comapny we are using for the document scanning said we needed a PPP to connect the offices. So in short we are looking to see if the cisco 1721 routers will allow us to connect the two offices over the PPP and what else we may need to connect the two offices and of course configure the router. I have a little bit of experiance (very little) configuring the 1721's for a simple t1 line, but never have interconnected offices. The routers we have all have WIC DSU T1 cards in them. Just looking for some direction, I appreciate any help. Thank you.

Friend,

You can configure your T1 lines between the office. Just ensureline parameters you define matches with that of telco.

Have a look at this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps3129/products_tech_note09186a0080093d70.shtml

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Dear ,

First of all if you need full information about your Cisco 1721 router you can use the below URL anytime:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_data_sheet09186a00800920ec.html

Regarding the T1 PPP confgiurations, the below line will show you how to config the T1 interface for PPP on both side (Branches) but please take care about the timesolts/framing/coding you have to check with your telco company about your timesolts, and the Framing/conding supported

Interface serial 0/0

service-module t1 clock source internal

service-module t1 timeslots 1-24 speed 64

service-module t1 framing esf

service-module t1 linecode b8zs

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

encapsulation ppp

fair-que

no shut

Please Rate helpful posts.

Best Regards,

Mounir Mohamed

would I be able to perform this in a bridge mode? Also is it possible at all to find a way to upgrade IOS as I am on an older version of 12.2 and it seems next to impossible to do that. Here is what I was have been getting help with so far, just not sure how to proceed from here as to whether I need to configure the FastEthernet0 with the IPs or how to proceed from there:

Site 1:

!

bridge 1 protocol ieee

interface Serial0

encapsulation ppp

service-module t1 clock source line

bridge-group 1

no shut

!

int FastEthernet0

bridge-group 1

no shut

!

Site 2:

!

bridge 1 protocol ieee

interface Serial0

encapsulation ppp

service-module t1 clock source internal

bridge-group 1

no shut

!

interface FastEthernet0

bridge-group 1

no shut

!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card