cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CM 4.0.6 UT Acquisition issue

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This doesn't look like the issue of bad DeviceDiscovery.properties, as everything looks peachy there. The symptom is the UT endhosts report returns nothing after a few nights. Upon clicking Start Acquisition, I get "Error

Failed to start acquisition: Initial Data Collection is not done yet, please try again later."

There's trouble indicated bin /var/adm/CSCOpx/log/ut.log

messages will remian logged to file: /var/adm/CSCOpx/log/ut.log

2007/04/24 22:51:14 main ani MESSAGE ProcessInitializer: Properties will be read

from /opt/CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi/ANIServer.properties

I= 0value *.*.*.*

I= 1value 6

I= 2value 1

2007/04/24 22:51:18 main ani MESSAGE DBConnection: Created new Database connecti

on [hashCode = 4395840]

Couldn't get I/O for the connection to: hostnamejava.net.ConnectException: Conne

ction refused

Couldn't get I/O for the connection to: hostnamejava.net.ConnectException: Conne

ction refused

UTM is shutting down

2007/04/24 22:51:28 main ani MESSAGE DBConnection: Closed Database connection [h

ashCode = 4395840]

Attached is /opt/CSCOpx/campus/ani-trace.log

5 Replies 5

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

/var/adm/CSCOpx/log/discovery.log looks benign.

CM is an upgrade from the older version in LMS 2.2. I've downloaded CM 4.0.8, but that's at least a week away to get it installed.

I got an additional clue from the CM homepage that CM needed to manage "at least one device" before UT acquisition could start.

Device Discovery 25 Apr 2007, 02:03:58 EDT #### Devices Idle Start Device Discovery

Data Collection Not available 0 Devices Running Start Data Collection

User Tracking Acquisition Not available 0 End Hosts

0 IP Phones Idle Start UT Acquisition

Does that mean the UT acquisition will start after Data Collection finishes?

Actually, the whole thing is symptomatic of an ANIServer problem. The I/O exceptions you see in your ut.log indicate that TCP port 14004 is no longer listening. This indicates that ANIServer has shut down. The ani.log and daemons.log might shed more light on why that has happened.

On a more general note, UT acquisition cannot run until at least one Campus Data Collection has completed, so your comment above is true in the general sense.

I was able to get the UT Acquisition completed successfully after the Data Collection was finished. Should I investigate further into the I/O exception with the DB?

If the UT acquisition finished, then ANIServer is working. However, if you get the errors again, check the state of, and focus on troubleshooting ANIServer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: