dialpeer preference

Unanswered Question
Apr 25th, 2007

Will the following configuration work? I want to use pots as backup if the gk goes down. However I have to use generic pattern [2-9]......... otherwise I have to configure a lot of peers. I guess backup only works when the pattern exact same, right? Otherwise call to 25379..... always use pots peer not voip peer?

dial-peer voice 1 voip

destination-pattern [2-9].........

session target ras

incoming called-number .

dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric

dial-peer voice 14 pots

destination-pattern 25379.....

incoming called-number .

port 0/0:23

preference 2

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
mchandak Wed, 04/25/2007 - 08:00

preference would only be used when there is a tie between multiple dial-peers. With the configuration you have posted it will always hit dial-peer 14 as that is a more specific match. If you replace destination-pattern to use on dial-peer 14 to use the same as dial-peer 1, it should work for you. Once that is done, since both have the same destination pattern, the router would use preference, and if preference is also the same, it would then try using the first dial-peer configured.

Paolo Bevilacqua Wed, 04/25/2007 - 08:09

Small correction to the good advice above: Among DPs of same preference for same destination, IOS will choose the least-used, that is the one with the older timestamp for a completed call. In practice, round-robin.

ciscoforum Wed, 04/25/2007 - 12:15

Really? Cisco supports round robin? Just use same preference, no other commands?

This Discussion