cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPLS

wailunip
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone give me a quick list of kit which can support VPLS? I know the SIP400 on 7600s can but was wondering whether there were any other smaller series boxes which do as well.

5 Replies 5

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can do VPLS on the GSR, 7600 and ME6524.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi,

In reality ME6524 can't do VPLS - only H-VPLS.

ME6524 (as a U-PE) originates only EoMPLS or L2 tunnels which are terminated in VPLS instances at the core edge of the network.

Regards,

Alexander

So is what your saying is that on the 6524 you have to place interfaces into a vlan and then place the SVI into a VFI with the xconnect vfi command. Does that also mean on the 7600 and GSR you can place interfaces directly into the VFI?

Sorry for my english.

Look at the following link (H-VPLS Architecture part):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6845/products_data_sheet0900aecd8040657e.html

ME6524 can act as a service provider access device in an H-VPLS architecture.. Only..

You just can configure an EoMPLS tunnel (or for example QinQ) within this box. Then this EoMPLS tunnel can be terminated in VPLS-capable box (for example 7600 with OSM/SIP etc).

>So is what your saying is that on the 6524 >you have to place interfaces into a vlan and >then place the SVI into a VFI with the >xconnect vfi command.

You cannot configure VFI within ME6524.

>Does that also mean on the 7600 and GSR you >can place interfaces directly into the VFI?

Yes, 7600 or GSR can place attachment circuits into the VFI (certainly, there can be restrictions for different hardware configurations (type of line cards, etc)).

Hope this helps

Alexander,

You are correct. The ME6524 can not be used as an N-PE.

Thanks for keeping me honest ;-)

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: