cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with static routes

holiveros
Level 1
Level 1

I have a firewall with 2 defa routes with the same weight (2 diff isps). When I change the weight of one of them to a higher one, the dns stuff check mail facility doesnt find the address (both addresses are published). When both have the same weight, both addreses are found by the dns stuff....what might be happening here..?

5 Replies 5

haroon.shaikh
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings Mate,

The possible reason to me is that when you change the weight of default routes it might be creating a routing loop.

Traffic coming from route with lower weight leaves the network across isp with static route weight is higher.

That's the most likely reason.

But in which manner is the routing loop creating itself..?...See, I change the weight to have preference over the higher route, I mean, I leave the higher weight one as the floating static route this way:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 y.y.y.y 2

The lower weight route (x.x.x.x) is my preferable for outgoing traffic. But when mail is coming (incoming traffic) into y.y.y.y, it doesn?t find it...

Hector,

The second route will never be installed in the RIB as long as the first one is valid (i.e. next-hop x.x.x.x is resolvable).

Can you tell us a bit more about the purpose of that second route in regard to the mail application.

If you need to route traffic based on something other than destination IP address then the solution for you might be Policy based Routing (PBR).

For more information on how to configure PBR, please refer to the following link:

http://www.ciscotaccc.com/kaidara-advisor/iprout/showcase?case=K10313674

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Harold, in effect I found a way to make PBR inside the firewall and left both static routes with the same weight. Everything worked. The purpose of the second route in regard to the mail application was (in fact is) that both routes are used to publish the mail server in the internet.

Thanks a lot

I have a similar problem. How did you resolve it?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card