cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EoS

nhaghighi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am looking to buy a router for a 100Mb EoS connection. Can anyone provide some suggestions? Thanks.

4 Replies 4

tphelps
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you provide some more info...

What interfaces do you need besides the 100Mbps? SONET OC3/OC12/OC48? Any APS or MR-APS?

What Layer 2 features do you need? QNQ, QoS, Layer 2 tunneling, etc.

Are you doing the EoS or just interfacing to a provider that provides the connection?

Sure...the only thing terminating on the router will be an ethernet 100Mbps connection from the ISP who will be doing the EoS. Also, no layer 2 features. The router will only act as an edge router providing Internet access. I was looking at a 3845 but wanted to get a second opinion. Thanks.

If you only have the FE from the SP and only Internet traffic then the 3845 should be OK, overkill even. You may look into any security features you may need. Some folks have used a port on a 6500 and set up a VLAN for Internet traffic. You may even be able to set up redundant 6500 ports and use HSRP. Just some general thoughts for a somewhat vague EoS/MetroE solution.

Yes - that's exactly the case. I plan to have a firewall in between this router and the internal network. Thanks for your input.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: