Views
Helpful
Replies

Challenge on complex Policy Based Routing

moitessier
Level 1
Level 1

Please help me on this?.

I need to forward traffic to two different next hops based on source IP and the attribute (tag, community, other your suggestion) the BGP passes with the route that points that source IP.

I?ll try with an example: I have two different remote sites. Traffic from both sites comes to my first router (R1). On this router R1 the routes to the sites are passed via BGP. The route to Site1 has a community set to ?blue? and the route Site2 has a community set to ?red?. Now when traffic comes from bule-site must be forwarded to R2 and if traffic comes from a red-site must be forwarded to R3.

Any suggestion? I actually can change almost everything? I mean I can use route tagging or a different bgp attribute or even a different routing protocol.

Thanks a lot

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

With PBR, the only discrimination parameters are the ones that are in the traffic itself. And traffic (packets), unlike routes, cannot carry tags.

That means your "match" statements must be the basic ones, like source address or ingress interface. No involvement of tags from routing protocols is possible, as far as I know.

Anyway, in this kind of situations, sometime VRF comes handy. I personally have seen it misbehave and would not use it unless absolutely necessary, but the tool is there.

Good luck!

Hope this helps, please rate all useful posts!

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm not very skilled with VRF, how would you use these to split the traffic based on routing attributes or tags?

Hi, actually i was not suggesting to use VRF necessarily, what it does it splits the router in virtual router each one with its routing table and interfaces, that may or may not help in your case. PBR on the other had should be simple enough.

As a courtesy to those providing answers, please rate all posts using scrollbox below

justin.donoghue
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

The easiest way is to create a route map which matchs a source address and then sets the ip next hop to whichever IP address you want. If you want to match community then the community needs to have been set on the incoming routes from the far end. The route map can be applied then to the incoming routes on the BGP neighbour statement

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card