Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM Licence (content firewall)

ecouto
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I got 2 6509 with one FWSM in each one. My default licence allow me only 2 context-fw. I would like to buy the licence "FR-SVC-FWM-VC-T2" which is for 50 context-fw. I'm using the firewalls in Active/Standby. Do I need to buy 2 of this licences or I can use some sort of FO licence for the standby unit? Anyone know something about it?

Cheers,

Emilio

4 Replies 4

mj11
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Emillio

The two FWSMs must have the same major (first number) and minor (second number) software version, license, and operating modes (routed or transparent, single or multiple context). You can use different maintenance versions (third numbers) during an upgrade process; for example, you can upgrade one module from 2.2(1) to 2.2(2) and failover is still active. However, Cisco recommend upgrading both modules to the same version to ensure long-term compatibility. Cisco do not guarantee full compatibility for failover when the maintenance versions differ.

Regards MJ

Thanks for the information MJ, but still not clear if I need to buy 2 licences or 1 (I don't need Active/Active mode). Can I only buy one FWSM 50 context-fw licence?

Cheers,

Emilio

Hi Emillio

The failover feature lets you use a standby FWSM to take over the functionality of a failed FWSM, if you have a FWSM on 50 context this would then mean that the standby FWSM would need to have the same license.

Regards MJ

bugger... I look like I will need to buy 2 then.

Thanks,

Emilio

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: