cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN issues on a cisco 2950 switch

xhackuss1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2950 switch with a standard image and I have a couple of issues with it with regards to VLANs. When I create two VLANs and assign IP address to VLAN 100 for instance and brings it up, it goes down when I assign IP address to VLAN 200 and brings it up.

i.e I can only have one VLAN active at a time.

What am I missing?.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello xhackuss,

2950 is a layer 2 switch. only one management interface can be configured on the 2950.. if you create another layer 3 interface, it will bring down the previously configured interface.. there are two solutions if you want to do layer 3 routing in your case

1) you can trunk a router to this switch and configure sub-interfaces on the router to do inter-vlan routing

2) or buy another L3 switch like 3750, which can do full-fledged inter-vlan routing...

hope this helps.. all the best.. rate replies if found useful..

Raj

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello xhackuss,

2950 is a layer 2 switch. only one management interface can be configured on the 2950.. if you create another layer 3 interface, it will bring down the previously configured interface.. there are two solutions if you want to do layer 3 routing in your case

1) you can trunk a router to this switch and configure sub-interfaces on the router to do inter-vlan routing

2) or buy another L3 switch like 3750, which can do full-fledged inter-vlan routing...

hope this helps.. all the best.. rate replies if found useful..

Raj

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card