cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding 2 second delay to 911 calls

edmundolopez
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to a 2 second delay specifically to 911 calls issued from a CCM 4.2 platform? Customer having significant issues with mis-dialed 911 calls. The calls are forwarded immediately before the users can say "oops" and cancel the call. Instead of staying on-line and stating that they misdialed, they hang up anyway which really angers the 911 operators. Anyway, is this 2 second delay a possibility?

thanks

Edmundo Lopez

AT&T TSC

1 Accepted Solution
5 Replies 5

Thank You. The link was exactly what I was hoping to find.

mundo

jbarcena
Level 9
Level 9

There is no way to add a pause on CCM, as soon as CCM found a match on his dial plan it will route the call.

On voice gateways you are able to place pauses with the commna (,) but unfortunately this can not be done on CCM.

HTH

//Jorge

l.mourits
Level 5
Level 5

Important to keep in mind is that in a real emergency every second will count, and in those cases a build-in delay (or interdigit timeout) might not be appreciated. I would never choose to be the one that added such delay.

IMHO the only solution is to only allow 9.911 and not 911. Allthough I am not based in the US, I had similar issues in NL (emergency number 112) and we decided to buy emergency number stickers clearly stating to dial 0112 in case of an emergency. Put the stickers on the phone and your problem is solved.

HTH,

Leo

Also important to keep in mind is that people panic in emergencies. "Dial 911 for emergencies" has been drilled into the minds of the public for 20+ years. So in an emergency, a user may not remember to dial a lead 9 before the 911, stickers or not. (Besides, who wants to mess up their nice new phones with stickers?) I'm not a lawyer, but I wouldn't want to risk the liability of programming a system which deliberately did not conform to such a well-publicized emergency standard.

My organization has wrestled with this issue and we have come to the point where we recommend requiring a 7 or 8 instead of 9 to get an outside line. This prevents the scenario of "91, oh what was the number? 1xx, oh crud I just dialed 911, I better hang up before they answer".

It amazes me that this seems to happen more frequently after a conversion to Call Manager, even though the users' old phones and PBX also required a lead 9 and would behave the same way. It may just be the users adjusting to their new phones.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: