cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog records lost after deleting device from DCR?

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I had pairs of dupes in DCR in the form of "router" and "router.company.com", with the latter imported from csv. Is it plausible RME deleted the associated Syslog records when I deduped by deleting all the "router.company.com" ones? The only Syslogs listed under "router" are ones collected after my deduplication.

5 Replies 5

omadrid
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you delete a device from the DCR then you are going to lose any related information like config archive, syslog, etc...

Was router also deleted? Were they in an alias state?

DCR didn't recognize any of them as dupes or aliases. The "router" ones are kept.

It doesn't make sense to me to have historical syslogs deleted since those are collected (by syslogd) independently of what LMS/RME is doing. Even in the case of truly retiring/deleting a device, users may still want to have a look back at the syslogs from within RME.

Are you talking about the Syslog report data being lost or the messages in the syslog.log or syslog_info?

The Syslog report data.

Ok, now it makes some sense, because of this step of selecting what devices I want to run the Syslog reports on. Still, in the case of dupes like I described, it shows an unintended downside.

the messages should be deleted from the syslog DB but are still in the flat file..

(and I know that not everybody should have access to the flat file..)

and BTW - I aggree with you...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: