Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange Problem with routing of one network 10.5.0.0

MICHAEL CICCONE
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I just installed a 6509 Cat Switch to replace a very old Foundry Network. Prior to the install I could ping everything. But now I cannot ping part of the 10.5 network. This is a /16 subnet. I can ping 10.5.200.x routers etc, but I cannot ping any hosts in 10.5.1.x. These hosts cannot see the default gateway of 10.5.200.1. Currently these hosts are in vlan1 (becuase thats what Foundry had them in and they still need to connect to some server irons). When I run a trace route from the cisco switch I get this:

co-ccat-6509-01#traceroute 10.5.1.9

Type escape sequence to abort.

Tracing the route to 10.5.1.9

1 10.10.1.14 0 msec 0 msec 0 msec

2 10.10.1.34 4 msec 0 msec 4 msec

3 *

64.78.154.253 !H *

10.10.1.34 is a watch guard fw that connects to the router 10.5.200.1. I checked the fw and don't see any issues there.

Any help is greatly appreicated.

Thanks

Mike c.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mike,

excellent.. can u mark the post as solved, which can help others while searching for similar issues :)

Raj

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hey Mike,

Why is there a host unreachable error after 64.78.154.253.. what is this IP ? Can just be that this device is blocking or there is some issues with routing thereafter... is the 10.5.200.x subnet also after the firewalls ?? can you describe a little more of your network !!!

Raj

Raj,

I figured out my problem. The foundry equipment was using VLAN 1. and Foundry doesn't like it when the native vlan on cisco is set to a vlan that is in use (in this case vlan 1). I changed the vlan on the foundry side to vlan 5 and no longer trunk vlan 1 over to the cisco 6509. Once I did this it starting working.

Thanks

Mike C.

Mike,

excellent.. can u mark the post as solved, which can help others while searching for similar issues :)

Raj

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: