Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balencing (2 CEs, 2 Peers, 2 ISPs)

swoodyard
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am trying to accomplish out bound load sharing to the best path to a destination.

Router A - My WAN router

Router B - My other WAN router

Both WAN routers are advertising the same networks.

Router A talks EBGP with ISP C (defualt route)

Router B talks EBGP with ISP D (default route)

Routers A and B talk IBGP between them for failover.

Right now they run HSRP on the LAN. What ever router is the Master, internet traffic goes to that attached ISP.

I want to set it up so if traffic out coming out of my LAN to the internet, and the shortest path is thru ISP A, it goes to ISP C. If the shortest path is thru ISP D, then it goes to ISP D.

Any suggestions?

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If you have real BGP, remove the default routes, and take the full tables, that wild do what you says, "shortest path". As altenative you can take partial tables and already improve the routing. What routers do you have, and have you the background to configure, manage and troubleshoot BGP ?

Hi there.

Yes, I have knowledge of configuring, managing, and troubleshooting bgp, albiet not godly knowledge, but some.

My routers are 7204VXRs.

So if they both have the default route, and traffic comes for a destination that would have fewer AS hops off the other router, it would send the traffic to it to go out to the internet?

I though EBGP routes were always better than IBGP routes if both available?

If you accept full routing tables instead of default routes only it should take the shortest path. The next-hop information from EBGP is carried into IBGP, so it shouldn't be an issue.

You should be OK then. Yes eBGP is preferred to iBGP so it should be simple enough. Review the best path selection algorithm:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094431.shtml

Good luck!

Found this post useful? Please rate it using the scrollbox below!

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Swood,

I understand that basically you require more than Routing, actually for these kinds of scenario you need to go ahead with Content Networking.

Though I haven't ever worked with Cisco Content Networking products, however in our environment we use a vendor product (FCP and F5) and they are pretty ok kind of stuff to achieve the same.

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

HTH

Please rate

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco