Upgrading CME 3.3 to 4.0(3)

Answered Question

I received a 2811 w/ IOS version 12.4(3)g and CME 3.3. Because CME 3.3 does not support my 7911 IP phones, I need to upgrade.

Because of limited flash (64MB), I am choosing to upgrade to CME 4.0(3).

To do this, I see I must first upgrade my IOS to 12.4(4)XC4, then CME to 4.0(3).

After I upgraded my IOS to 12.4(4)XC4, I did a 'show telephony-service' out of curiousity, and it shows that CME has been upgraded to 4.0(3)?!?!?!?!?!

Does this mean I do not have to load any other files?

Please help!

Thanks

Tom

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Paolo Bevilacqua about 9 years 9 months ago

Never mind the documentation Tom. Is there to help and confuse you at the same time. Think about it as a stimulus to learn.

Now, steps to diagnose the non-registering phone, had you configure the ephone with correct mac address ? If you had auto-reg enabled, the phone may have registered under a dynamic ephone, do show ephone to see.

Also it helps if you do "term mon" and debug tftp events", you should see the phone coming online and request configuration files.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Paolo Bevilacqua Thu, 04/26/2007 - 09:39

Hi Tom,

first of all, CME *IS* IOS. The files you download as "CME", are just accessories, like the GUI files, phone firmware, etc. You can do perfectly without them.

Now if you want to to things even better, download and install 12.4(4)XC6, it came out after XC4, and can have many bug fixes, reducing the possibility you run into some problem unexpectedly.

Note that 64MB flash is not limiting at all, you can load and run all the images you want on your 2811.

Hope this helps, if so please rate post using the scrollbox below!

Ok, so CME is NOT a separate package I need to load in addition to IOS. It is part of the IOS.

Ok......that helps alot. And to be honest, I am running 12.4(4)XC6, I just wrote XC4 because the documentation says to use XC4 and didn't want anybody pointing that out. But yes, I am at XC6.

However, my 7911 still does not register. Hmmmm....

Thanks for the reply!

Tom

Correct Answer
Paolo Bevilacqua Thu, 04/26/2007 - 09:53

Never mind the documentation Tom. Is there to help and confuse you at the same time. Think about it as a stimulus to learn.

Now, steps to diagnose the non-registering phone, had you configure the ephone with correct mac address ? If you had auto-reg enabled, the phone may have registered under a dynamic ephone, do show ephone to see.

Also it helps if you do "term mon" and debug tftp events", you should see the phone coming online and request configuration files.

I have built an ephone with the correct mac address (I verified it). I did the debug tftp events and got this:

=======================================

*Apr 26 18:01:07.955: TFTP: Looking for CTLSEP0019306FABE0.tlv

*Apr 26 18:01:08.027: TFTP: Looking for SEP0019306FABE0.cnf.xml

*Apr 26 18:01:08.519: TFTP: Opened system:/its/XMLDefault7911.cnf.xml, fd 0, size 0 for process 34

*Apr 26 18:01:08.519: TFTP: Finished system:/its/XMLDefault7911.cnf.xml, time 00:00:00 for process 34

=======================================

But the phone still does not register. Could it be a phone load issue? My 7961 is registered fine.

You are a lifesaver.

Tom

Paolo Bevilacqua Thu, 04/26/2007 - 10:31

Tom, thank you for the nice rating.

termXX.default.loads is the "firmware master list" file that the phone searches when it has been restored to factory configuration. Once you configure "load 79xx SCCP..." under telephony services, that will supersede termXX.default.loads.

8.0(4)SR2 is not the latest firmware for 7911 but it may work fine for you, just check it out. If I was to list the bugs it has, that could scare you :)

Good luck!

Actions

This Discussion