RIP classful routing protocol

Unanswered Question
Apr 26th, 2007
User Badges:

Hi ........

i want to know what we means about classful routing protocol

i have completed my virtual lab with different subnets length and worked....

so .... how we say classful routing

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Richard Burts Thu, 04/26/2007 - 10:23
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

ibrahim

The classful routing protocols make certain assumptions about networks and have certain behaviors. These include:

- the classful routing protocols support FLSM (Fixed Length Subnet Masking) and do not support VLSM (Variable Length Subnet Masking).

- they believe that any network can be subnetted but within a given network all subnets will be the same size. This results in a behavior that an interface will advertise subnets of its network that have the same subnet mask as the interface but will not advertise subnets of that network with a different subnet mask. it also leads to the behavior that the routing update does not contain subnet mask information.

- they believe that networks are contiguous and that you should be able to get from one subnet of the network to any other subnet of that network without going outside the network. This leads to the behavior that they always automatically summarize at network boundaries.

HTH

Rick

mohammedmahmoud Thu, 04/26/2007 - 16:23
User Badges:
  • Green, 3000 points or more

Hi Ibrahim,

Beside the nice explaination that Rick has provided, please check this document, its a nice one explaining how Classful routing protocols (RIP / IGRP) sends and receives updates:

Behavior of RIP and IGRP When Sending and Receiving Updates

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk364/technologies_tech_note09186a0080093fd8.shtml

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Actions

This Discussion