cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

need help on vlan

marcusbrutus
Level 1
Level 1

If the e0.1 and e0.2 interface of a router has an ip add of 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1 respectively both having subnet masks of 255.255.255.0, and this e0 port is connected to a switch, what should vlan1(management vlan) ip add be? What subnet should it belong to?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mark

Is the switchport that is connected to e0 configured as a trunk ?

It is entirely up to you as to which subnet you make the management subnet. What are the 2 subnets 192.168.1.x & 192.168.2.x being used for at the moment ?

Good practice is to use a separate subnet for management of the switches so if you have users in the 192.168.1.x & 2.x subnets use another subnet, create a subinterface on your e0 interface and use that as your management vlan.

Hope this makes sense. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jon

Thanks Jon for the reply and the info. I am currently working on Boson netsim and am trying to create a couple of vlans on a switch connected to a router. The configuration i have inputted so far are the ff:

On the router:

1. no ip add on the e0 int, no shutdown

2. ip add of 192.168.1.1/24 on e0.1, no shut, encap dot1q 10

3. ip add of 192.168.2.1/24 on e0.2, no shut, encap dot1q 20

4. ip add of 192.168.3.1/24 on e0.3, no shut, encap dot1q 30

On the switch:

1. On f0/1, switchport mode trunk, switchport trunk encap dot1q

2. vlans 10, 20, 30 added to the vlan database - all named A, B, C respectively

3. port f0/2 added to vlan 20

4. port f0/3 added to vlan 30

5. vlan 1 given ip add of 192.168.1.2/24

with default-gateway of 192.168.1.1

The problem is that after i have configured all this and then check router by ip route and ip int brief, there is no route pointing to any network and the subinterfaces are all down on layer two respectively. I have been troubleshooting this problem for sometime and i have to admit that i might probably lose my mind really soon if i can't get this simple setup to work.

I would appreciate any help you can give me regarding this. And thank you in advance.

Hi Mark

1) Are you seeing nothing if you do a "sh ip route" or are you seeing directly connected networks in the routing table.

If you are seeing nothing type "ip routing" in config mode.

2) Can you check the speed/duplex setting between your e0 interface on your router and f0/1 on your switch.

HTH

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: