cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recovering an encrypted enable secret password from a printed configuration

Kevin Melton
Level 2
Level 2

I am working at a new customer site. They had some issues with their former Network Admin; apparently he was the only one whom knew the "enable secret" to logon to the Edge Router( 3600 box).

I have a printed copy of the configuration. The configuration is using the global "service-password encryption" command, and therefore I cannot tell what the configured enable secret password is.

Is there a way I can descrable the encrypted password from the printed config??

5 Replies 5

situwayne
Level 1
Level 1

I don't think you can discramble the "enable secret password", because it's MD5 hash.

Since you have the printed config, you can use snmp to change it.

I am unclear why you say I can use snmp to change it.... using specifically what??

thx

snmp-server community Private RW

assuming there is no access-list to prevent you from using snmp to access the router, there are numerous utilities out there which will allow you to modify the config using snmp rw community. the router does not have to reload using this method.

or

do password recovery as suggested.

avmabe
Level 3
Level 3

No. You can do nothing with an "enable secret" password from printed text.

Kevin,

A secret password cannot be decrypted as it uses MD5 hashing. Follow the steps listed in the following password recovery document to reset the password.

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_password_recovery09186a0080094774.shtml

HTH

Sundar

HTH

Sundar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: