cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fiber connections

don.click1
Level 4
Level 4

I have need of advise. I have a remote site about 12 miles from my primary datacenter. We have just instlled SM fiber, and Im wanting to verify what I need as far as cables.

I already have a ZX SFP for one end (a 3845 router). I am bout to order a ZX Gbic for the 6513. My questions - 1. optical attenuators - how many and where do i install them.

2. Cables - one end is SC to SC, the other SC to LC - do they make different attenuators for this kind of connection?

part numbers would be huge plus. TIA!

1 Reply 1

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

The installers should / should have done an optical test. If it wasn't done, you should do it / have it done.

Basically a calibrated light source is used at one end, and an optical power meter is on the other. This provides a number representing the attenuation of the span.

The attenuation is subtracted from the overall output signal of the transmitters.

If the signal level is within the acceptable limits of the receivers, then no attenuation is required.

If attenuation is necessary, you are usually doing well to use variable optical attenuators (VOAs) because the characeristics of the transmitters (and receivers) will change over time and you may find it necessary to reduce the attenuation after a while.

The connectors are not significant (aside from the obvious physical differences), you'd want to order a zip cord jumper with the appropriate ends to match your panel / WIC and the switch/router interface.

Post again if you have any more questions.

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card