Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Diaster Recovery

Hi All

I want to know how to do a diaster recovery when there is no IOS in the flash and password recovery for the router has been disabled

7 Replies 7

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi there,

I think that you are talking about 2 issues here:

1. To recover the password when the "no service password-recovery" is configured, here you are how to do the recovery in this case:

"To recover a device once the No Service Password-Recovery feature has been enabled, press the Break key within 5 seconds after the image decompresses during the boot. You are prompted to confirm the Break key action. When you confirm the action, the startup configuration is erased, the password-recovery procedure is enabled, and the router boots with the factory default configuration. If you do not confirm the Break key action, the router boots normally with the No Service Password-Recovery feature enabled."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5413/products_feature_guide09186a00802a1e76.html

2. If there is no IOS on the flash, you'll have 3 options:

2.1 Using a platform similar to the one that you are recovering copy the IOS to the flash an try to load it with it.

2.2 TFTP download (tftpdnld)?Use this method if you can connect a TFTP server directly to the fixed LAN port on your router.

2.3 Console download (xmodem)?Use this method if the computer that is attached to your console has a terminal emulator that supports the Xmodem Protocol.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/prod_configuration_guide09186a00802c35e9.html

HTH, please rate if it does help,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi

You are right there are 2 issues which need to be troubleshooted.

My problem is not the password recovery but no IOS in the flash which makes the router not to boot and i wont be type any break sequence.

the Options which you ahve specified in 2 doesnt look like working because the flash we have is not a compact flash it is onboard and once i remove the flash from mother noard the ios in it gets erased

I want to know weather is there any way to disable EPROM memory during the bootup so that the startup configuration will not been seen durinig initial bootup.

Please help me

Regards,

Hi there,

The answer to this question, is that you can change the configuration register to 0x2142 -->Normal boot (from flash) but discard configuration file from NVRAM (ignore configuration) --> Used for password recovery.

But if i understand right this is not your main problem, if your problem is no IOS then you shall be trying one of the 3 options:

2.1 Using a platform similar to the one that you are recovering copy the IOS to the flash (i mean an external flash card) an try to load it with it.

2.2 TFTP download (tftpdnld)?Use this method if you can connect a TFTP server directly to the fixed LAN port on your router.

2.3 Console download (xmodem)?Use this method if the computer that is attached to your console has a terminal emulator that supports the Xmodem Protocol.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/prod_configuration_guide09186a00802c35e9.html

HTH, please rate if it does help,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi

This is a Cisco 2600 router which dosent support Exterbal Flash Card. So is there any way to go till rom mode with no IOS in flash and Password Recovery disabled.

Is the only solution is going for an RMA?

Regards

Hi there,

I doubt that it is doable, what does the router output when starting it ?

The No Service Password-Recovery feature prevents the completion of the Break key sequence and the entering of ROMMON mode during system startups and reloads.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi there

the router is not booting and trying to initial flash but since no IOS is there it is halting at that point of time.

I want to know during the initial bootup weather there is any break sequence which can ignore the startup config in EPROM go to ROM mode.

cheers

Hi there,

Unfortunately, i am sorry to say that the No Service Password-Recovery feature prevents the completion of the Break key sequence and the entering of ROMMON mode during system startups and reloads.

I am really sorry, but it seems that you'll need to RMA it.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco