cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pix 501 e0 Interface

smjones45832
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Pix 501 that is connected on the e0 interface to a Cisco 2950 switch. Been having some problems getting out with it from the internal network and when I do a show interface command on e0 it shows interface is up, line protocol is down.

I've tried different cables to see if that was the problem but that doesn't help. It's a straight through cable connecting the two. I checked the LED's for status and power is on, inside connection has a solid link light. Outside connection blinks once in a while but then goes out. It is out more then blinking. If I plug the cable from the 2950 into any of the 1-4 ports on the back, I have solid lights. I also should say that the light on the 2950 is solid as well.

Could I have a bad port on the Pix? Or could there be something between the Pix and the 2950 that's not correct? Fairly new to the Pix, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Can you check the speed and duplex settings on both the pix e0 interface and the 2950 switch. On the pix do

1) "sh run"

at top will be a line for the eth0 interface eg.

interface ethernet0 auto

See what it is set as then

"sh interface eth0"

and see what is running at.

Check the 2950 port speed and settings as well.

HTH

Jon

sh run comes back with

interface ethernet0 10baset.

sh interface eth0 comes back with

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit half duplex.

How do I check the port speed on the 2950?

Hi

Log on to switch and just enter "sh run" and have a look at settings under the interface.

Assuming interface is fa0/1

do a "sh interface fa0/1" to see what speed it is running at

Jon

The port that the Pix is plugged into is 19. Would I then do a sh interface fa0/19?

Yes, that would do it, or a "show interface status" should show all of them in an easy to read manner.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card