Helpful
Replies

ip route command

dexteroc1
Level 1
Level 1

What does this command mean?

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.100.1

I have 9 other ip routes in my router configuration but my understanding is that when data packets get to the router and if they don't match any of the other 9 ip routes, that they will be routed to 192.168.100.1. Is that correct?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

Yes you are absolutely right!!

This route is called as a default route. Router will check its routing table and when it does not find any matching entry for a particular destination it will fwd that packet to the default route.

In your case router will fwd data packet to 192.168.100.1 if there is no matching entry in routing table or that particular destination.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

Yes you are absolutely right!!

This route is called as a default route. Router will check its routing table and when it does not find any matching entry for a particular destination it will fwd that packet to the default route.

In your case router will fwd data packet to 192.168.100.1 if there is no matching entry in routing table or that particular destination.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Hi there,

If the "no ip classless" is configured, the default route will not work if the major classful network is in the routing table. Accordingly to have the default route working fine insure that ip classless is there.

HTH, please rate if it does help,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card