cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN with ASA 5500 vs VPN with PIX 515E

Sighclops
Level 1
Level 1

I am wondering what the differences are between using an exisitng PIX 515E for VPN Remote Users as appossed to aquiring an ASA 5500 for VPN Remote Users? Any information or opinions are appreciated to help me lean towards one or the other.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Craig

Depending on the version of code that you are running on the PIX the functionality of running VPN on the PIX or on the ASA should be the same. So if the choice is not based on functionality differences, what else would help guide the choice? You might consider whether the existing PIX has sufficient resources to add the extra load of processing the VPN or whether you should put that on a different box. You might consider that the PIX is an older product line and its end is approaching while the ASA is the product which which is the strategic replacement for the PIX. Given a choice I would probably prefer to use newer technology than older technology. I also believe that the ASA will give you more choices of technologies going forward (a better growth path) while the PIX provides present capability but no growth path.

On the other hand there is the aspect to consider that using the existing PIX does not require buying anything new and the ASA would be an expense that you have to cover in the budget. And for some people the budgetary constraint is an important consideration.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Craig

Depending on the version of code that you are running on the PIX the functionality of running VPN on the PIX or on the ASA should be the same. So if the choice is not based on functionality differences, what else would help guide the choice? You might consider whether the existing PIX has sufficient resources to add the extra load of processing the VPN or whether you should put that on a different box. You might consider that the PIX is an older product line and its end is approaching while the ASA is the product which which is the strategic replacement for the PIX. Given a choice I would probably prefer to use newer technology than older technology. I also believe that the ASA will give you more choices of technologies going forward (a better growth path) while the PIX provides present capability but no growth path.

On the other hand there is the aspect to consider that using the existing PIX does not require buying anything new and the ASA would be an expense that you have to cover in the budget. And for some people the budgetary constraint is an important consideration.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Summed up nicely Rick. Thanks for the view.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: