Helpful
Replies

Can't read flash ????

davemikolajczak
Level 1
Level 1

All of a sudden, I can;t read flash

dir flash: gets a

%Error opening flash:/ (Device in exclusive use)

I cannot copy a new image.

%dev_open CompactFlash already in use

%Error erasing flash: (Device in exclusive use)

8 Replies 8

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dave,

This is a known problem that occurs when there is an error accessing the flash and so it is put into exclusive mode and the device needs to be reloaded to fix the problem. Please turn off the router, reseat the Compact Flash and turn the router back on.

In worst case scenario, you can try tftpdnld to upgrade the IOS.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Is the file system intact, or will it go into rommon on boot?

Will I need to erase flash?

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

David

What kind of device is generating this error? Cisco has just published a series of Field Notices for a variety of devices which potentially have faulty flash cards (manufacturing defect).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

a 2821 router.

Hi Dave,

Is this box in live network? If yes then you may arrange some windown and try reload and if that does not fix the issue or if router goes into rommon I will say to try tftpdnld and upgrade the IOS.

HTH

Ankur

Is this an IOS problem, a hardware problem or a combination of both?

Hi Dave,

Its an IOS issue nd I have seen this problem is solved many a times after upgrade but if upgrade even did not fix the issue then you may need to get the flash card replaced.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate helpfull post

David,

The reference Rick made about field notice on defective compact flash card is correct. I recently had a customer run into a similar issue.

Have a look at the following link to see whether the CF you are using is affected.

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps282/products_field_notice09186a00804a7abf.shtml

HTH

Sundar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: