cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing local enable passwd with RME 4.x NetConfig?

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I can't quite grasp the idea yet: It looks like LMS 2.6's DCR no longer stores the local enable password (column 10 in the V2.0 export format) for each device. So how could NetConfig of RME 4.x change the local enable password (on CatOS device) without knowing what it is. The lab cat5k I tried to change the local enable passwd manually on asked for the old enablepass.

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It can't. This is a long-standing issue. See CSCsb07389. To implement support for this, we are adding the concept of secondary credentials in LMS 3.0.

Will this concept be implemented for LMS 2.6? It's a big feature lost from LMS 2.2/RME 3.5. While we have redundant TACACS servers, it's nice to have local passwords in case all TACACS servers go kaput or when a device is taken off the network for a short while.

This feature will not be implemented in LMS 2.6. It will be in LMS 3.0 and higher only.

I should add that if you're just interested in changing the password on the device without updating the values in DCR, you can create an Ad Hoc Netconfig job to do the change. Applications like RME won't be aware of that new password, but if the AAA Server goes down, people will be able to login to the device directly using the new values (provided your policy allows for that).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: