cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PORTFAST????

maverickdoc727
Level 1
Level 1

i am preparing for CCNA INTRO...n hav come across several ques on PORTFAST..i m following the book by todd lammle n havnt seen ny mention abt PORTFAST TECHNOLOGY....could u pls let me know in breif abt it..n where frm the site can i get info in it..??

5 Replies 5

thanx pal...tht link waz a gr8 help...now the concept is crystal clear...thnx..

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Portfast put the switch port direclty into the forwarding state...

you need STP to avoide the loop when you have the redundant connection between two switches... so here during the boot up both switch will run STP and fixup the peramenters like Rootbridge, RP, DP or Non designated port... so all those election will take some time to put appropriate port in to forwarding or blocking state...

but think of the switch port which is connected to the PC or HOST... those port dont have connection to the other switches so there is no possibility of loop ocurrence... so you can put that port which is connected to PC or host directly into the forwarding state... so when you enable the portfast then it does the same thing... it put those port direcly in to the forwarding state...

hope this will help you to understand...

regards

Devang

thnx for ur response...must say wonderful xplaination...helped a lot..

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI Jack, [pls Rate if Helps]

"PORTFAST" - enabling this Option on any Interface of Switch will make the Interface will go directly to "FORWARDING" state by skipping the "LISTENING & LEARNING" states.

Note: PORTFAST should not be enabled on an Interface where an HUB / Switch is Connected.

PORTFAST will be useful on TrukLinks & UP-Links where High-Mission Critical Applications were Connected.

Pls Rate if Helps ! !

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: