cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple SSID for Cisco Aironet 1100 Series

safeguardnet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all I have a cisco 1100 series AP and I want to setup 2 ssid's on it. One will have wep 128 bit and the other WPA2. What would be the best way to configure this.

6 Replies 6

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Dorian,

Here is a good step by step;

Configuring Multiple SSIDs

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00802085c4.html#wp1035858

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob

Do I need vlan's in order to have multiple ssid's as well as authentication (i.e radius.

Dorian

Hi Dorian,

That is the general idea with using multiple SSID's. This is to separate different levels of access (like Guest vs Secure access).

The SSID is a unique identifier that wireless networking devices use to establish and maintain wireless connectivity. Multiple access points on a network or sub-network can use the same SSIDs. SSIDs are case sensitive and can contain up to 32 alphanumeric characters. Do not include spaces in your SSIDs.

You can configure up to 16 SSIDs on your 1200 series access point and assign different configuration settings to each SSID. All the SSIDs are active at the same time; that is, client devices can associate to the access point using any of the SSIDs. These are the settings you can assign to each SSID:

VLAN

Client authentication method

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maximum number of client associations using the SSID

Proxy mobile IP

RADIUS accounting for traffic using the SSID

Guest mode

Repeater mode, including authentication username and password

If you want the access point to allow associations from client devices that do not specify an SSID in their configurations, you can set up a guest SSID. The access point includes the guest SSID in its beacon. The access point's default SSID, tsunami, is set to guest mode. However, to keep your network secure, you should disable the guest mode SSID on most access points.

If your access point will be a repeater or will be a root access point that acts as a parent for a repeater, you can set up an SSID for use in repeater mode. You can assign an authentication username and password to the repeater-mode SSID to allow the repeater to authenticate to your network like a client device.

If your network uses VLANs, you can assign one SSID to a VLAN, and client devices using the SSID are grouped in that VLAN.

Hope this helps!

Rob

jfh000001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an EPC2425 cable modem/router. I can’t disable the hidden/open guest SSIDs, in fact I didn’t even realize I was in effect providing free internet café access until now.

I don’t have the Cisco Connect software for my 2425. I downloaded a copy which failed to connect to the device even after I restored factory settings. I’m wondering if there is some way to disable these guest SSIDs.

harvisin
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Harvinder,

I tried your link but the page was not found. Some related links were shown and I followed these. They related to Guest SSIDs and the use of Cisco's Command Level Interface which technical people may use to setup/configure Access Points including Guest SSIDs. I am aware that there are CLI commands to enable and disable Guest SSIDs, but I don't have the CLI software and Cisco's web site does not allow me to download any software.

The only method I have to configure my access point is to use the device's built-in html setup/configuration menus via my web browser. However - for my EPC2425 - Cisco did not provide any menu options relating to Guest SSIDs, not even an Enable/disable option.

I find it very strange that Cisco should allow me to setup the security I need for my Primary SSID, while at the same time they provide the device preconfigured with hidden and open Guest SSIDs that allow anyone access to my residential gateway.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: